Talk

Advanced search

Disneyworld Florida Feb 2016 Half term

(12 Posts)
FrankWelker Sat 19-Dec-15 14:36:15

We are looking to go for 7 days then with our 2 ds aged 3 and 8. I'm am completely overwhelmed with all the info. Can anyone recommend a hotel, whether to use the meal plan deals etc. Much appreciated!

HermioneWeasley Sat 19-Dec-15 14:39:13

The flights are usually the biggest cost - is there anytime you can go for 2 weeks?

The Dibb is usually recommended, but I find it hard to navigate.

The meal plans are usually thought to be good value.

I would have a look on trip adviser for the different hotels in your price range (I assume Disney hotel onsite as you've mentioned the dining plans) and see what people say about them.

Hulababy Sat 19-Dec-15 15:07:11

We are going at February half term this year. Our half term is from the 6 February.

This time we are going with Virgin Holidays staying at Hard Rock Hotel.

However last time we went at February half term we got a villa and did flights via Virgin Atlantic. We have just googled Florida villas and rented that way - holidayrentals, holidayletings, etc.

I hate indirect flights so would avoid them entirely - especially when only going for a week. We have used two or three different airlines for the US but prefer VA usually.

We do car hire separately usually but you can get it as part of a holiday which is often easier.

Do tickets yourself - the travel companies charge more. This time we got the Disney tickets direct from Disney itself - very little difference in price and it automatically linked to the My Disney eExperience website so we could book restaurants straight away. We got the universal tickets from one of the official brokers as was cheaper.

Worst part of a Florida holiday is that it is nearly the same cost for a week as it is for fortnight - especially in terms of flights and tickets.

Hulababy Sat 19-Dec-15 15:10:04

Unless you can get a meal plan thrown in for free I wouldn't bother tbh.

As for Disney hotels - we have stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge which was nice. However, we spend very little time in our hotel/accommodation on a theme park holiday - we are in the parks the whole time - so not ere is spend too much on the hotel. We don't even use the pool much.

snowypenguin Tue 22-Dec-15 09:04:40

Why 7 days? Jet lag will be hell. It's not enough time and as a poster above said 2 weeks will be about the same.

Hulababy Tue 22-Dec-15 16:27:01

I am assuming 7 days as that's how long half term is.

We've been for a week a couple of times . It's been fine and jet lag has been okay.

We've done two weeks a few times too. So a week at half term is fling enough for us.

FrankWelker Tue 22-Dec-15 22:42:42

We were only going for a week due to the length of half- term but I agree with those saying it's too short a time considering the effort and cost. We are now planning to go for 2 weeks in the summer holidays! Tips still please on where to stay, what kind of budget to expect etc.
Much appreciated

Hulababy Thu 24-Dec-15 08:46:08

Two weeks in summer will be lovely.

I'd stay in a villa generally - especially if 4 or more of you and you can drive.

Flights are your biggest cost - look out for the Christmas/New Year flight sales this week.

I'd budget at least £1000 per person for a direct flight in summer holidays.

End of August can be a little cheaper than beginning of summer and is a little less busy in he parks as many US schools go back by then.

Dowser Mon 28-Dec-15 21:00:17

Some of my friends still own villas on www. Orlandovillas.com

It's a very well run site. John and roger do a check to make sure the villas are privately owned and not run by a huge company where you get a less personal service.

Martin does the tickets. He used to manage John and roger's villas and you can book your car hire through them.

Universalorlando is good for all the universal parks.

I wouldn't go for a week though. Not enough time to scratch the surface and it's too much money just for a week.

If you'd prefer a condo look at caribe cove. It's lovely there. My daughter stayed there. They got a great deal from Charlie at cheapflights. £3.5 k for car, accommodation and five flights October half term.

FrankWelker Fri 08-Jan-16 06:38:41

Thanks for all the great advice. I've booked 14 nights in Easter- in a villa close to Animal Kingdom and we've hired a car. I will order the park tickets direct from Disney. Any other ideas to keep the costs down would be great! I'm planning to do just Disney with a day at Universal. In the end Easter seemed a better option as the temperature is lower and my youngest is 3- didn't fancy 90C with him in summer! Both kids will love this but I still want to rein in the spending a bit if I can. 2 adults, kids 8 and 3.

Hulababy Sat 09-Jan-16 09:48:48

Don't forget that there are two parks at universal so you may want two days there especially if your children are into Harry Potter.

FifiandDD Sun 10-Jan-16 15:05:01

I love Disneyworld, and have been a few times. We went in July last time. It was very humid, and everyday there was a thunder storm, and for safety reasons when there is lightening in the area, some of the rides are temporarily stopped. The storms do nothing to freshen the temperature it stays humid, but hotels and restaurants have air conditioning blasting out.
If you are staying in Disneyworld the cheapest hotels, Pop century, All star resorts, are basic, but you are only in the rooms to sleep, they have good swimming pools and play areas. Staying in Disneyworld is a good idea if you can afford the hotels as it will be easy to return to your room for naps and rests when the heat gets too much. If you are going for the meal plan, just be aware that your 8 year old will have to pick from the kids menu, which will limit the food choices, but Disney is be no means all burgers and fries. Look on the Disney world website and you can look at menus. In fact you will want to make some advanced reservations, especially if you want to eat at specific restaurants such as Be our Guest, or Cinderellas castle. We liked to eat at the all you can eat buffet restaurants, Tusker House in Animal kingdom and Crystal Palace in the magic kingdom, because then you can really fill up if you need to. We have done the meal plan, and found we get plenty to eat, and do not need more than one snack a day, the only thing to bare in mind is that tipping is expected, and can add up over a fortnight. You can get free water from any counter service restaurant, so don't need to spend money on soda throughout the day, and at your hotel if you are doing the meal plan you get a refillable cup so can fill up on soda's at the hotel.
Buy some glowsticks, maybe even plastic ponchos from the pound shop before you go, and then they don't need to come out of your spending money. In fact I feel that once you have paid for the holiday package, which there is no denying is expensive, you don't have to spend loads there, especially if you can limit your DC's to one souvenir each. You don't have to get things like the photopass unless you want to, you can still go to meet and greet characters if you take your own photos, and you will have years of happy memories to look back on. Sorry this is really long, but hope you have a wonderful time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now