Portsmouth to Caen overnight ferry with baby

(14 Posts)
Monkeybutts Fri 18-Dec-15 17:29:52

Hi there,
I'm traveling on the overnight ferry with my 5 month old. We have a 4 berth cabin booked, with travel cot.
I'm concerned about the late departure and how that will work with getting baby settled.
Has anyone done this crossing with a baby and can offer some advice?
Thanks
Amanda

PotteringAlong Fri 18-Dec-15 17:33:45

Not that one but have done Newcastle - Amsterdam with both of mine when they were babies. We just put them in the sling, kept them going as long as possible and then just got through the night. I never actually tried to settle them as I didn't want to spend the night in the cabin with them.

Artandco Fri 18-Dec-15 17:39:33

Whenever w shave done long boat trips at night we just let them co sleep with us. For you I would take a sling on so you can walk around boat to get them to sleep if they don't alone. They will probably fall asleep before birding anyway so can just be fed and transferred

waitingforsomething Sat 19-Dec-15 07:14:17

I've done rgis kind of travel with babies quite a lot. If your baby settles easily just give him an extra feed and put him in the cot. More likely he will be unsettled as it's different so ive always just put mine in the sling while ive pottered around the ferry then put them down asleep whenever I'm ready. Don't worry about it 5 months is adaptable!

dreamingofsun Sat 19-Dec-15 17:29:45

we did the portsmouth to st malo one for years with 3 kids. the baby got left in the car seat which worked out fine. we didn't bother with a travel cot. they just slept. maybe in part because we all went down the bar and the kids stayed up late watching the entertainment. so they were tierd by bedtime. was no different to at home as far as they were concerned i don't think

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Sat 19-Dec-15 18:15:00

If you want to take the pushchair up with you, tell them before you board so that they can park you by the lift. Bear in mind you will have very ĺittle floor space with the travel cot so don't take much stuff with you.
Which aspects are you worried about? Does your DC usually feed around 11? If they sleep through, they may sleep from car to cabin.

Monkeybutts Sat 19-Dec-15 20:20:48

I guess I'm concerned about the interruption to the bedtime routine and don't know how important it is for a 5 month old. It's not going to be possible on the ferry to do anything from the routine (late boarding, no tub for bath time, etc). Does any of that matter at this age?

Artandco Sat 19-Dec-15 21:53:33

It doesn't matter, at 5 months neither of mine had a routine. If we fancied going out late in the evening they were just thrown in sling and taken along

When ds2 was between 3-5 months we backpacked for 2 months down Vietnam. He absolutely had no routine and has managed to get to primary school age unscathed. Mine have never had a set bedtime routine of bath/ etc though. Just 5 min story and bed so it's portable world over, or fall asleep in sling/ arms/ pram.

Your travelling overnight anyway so surely you can just get them in clean babygrow at home before travel to the ferry, then just transfer. I'm not sure a travel cot will fit in there though tbh, the cabins are tiny! Have you checked? As I wouldn't bother carrying on if not needed.

Artandco Sat 19-Dec-15 21:57:35

Oh I see you have booked a 4 berth cabin. That's x2 bunk beds. Have you booked it exclusively or will other's be sharing?

Tbh I would just co sleep with her that one night.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sat 19-Dec-15 22:00:01

A 4-berth cabin for 2 people will accommodate the cot ok with one set of bunks folded away, can't it?

dreamingofsun Sun 20-Dec-15 12:33:21

we did it with a 2 month old, a 3 year old and a 5 year old - well we did it for about 10 years - but this period was the hardest work. the baby was the easiest as they just slept. some people seem to be a slave to routines and i guess if you are one of those you may struggle. a baby is going to be happy as long as they are fed/clean nappy and you are there? can it not go without a bath for one night? this is going to be as hard or easy as you want to make it. we went down the bar with the kids/baby and drank beer and watched the entertainment

dreamingofsun Sun 20-Dec-15 12:36:35

i took something to eat for breakfast as the ferry used to get in fairly early and that meant we could sleep in as late as possible. there are long queues to get into the cars at the other end - either get at the front or better still gon't rush and let everyone else queue. but don't be like the burk we always seemed to get behind who only got to their cars once the rest of the ferry had emptied keeping us waiting in our car.

ChristmasHousewife Sun 20-Dec-15 12:46:55

I've done a simple length crossing with a 4 month old and two older ones. I co slept, it was fine. Much easier than the quicker boat trip to Disneyland when he was three!

Monkeybutts Tue 12-Jan-16 12:23:09

Just to follow up for anyone that comes across this thread in the future...the Portsmouth to Caen route is just a bit too short to be enjoyable for an overnight. They don't let you board until 9pm and they wake you up at 5am. I think a longer route like St Malo might be more pleasant, allowing a longer sleep. The 4 berth cabin is ok for a couple with baby. They provide a cot that wedges between the 2 single lower bunks. But we felt too cramped, so stumped up for the extra £60 to get a commodore cabin on the return journey. The extra space was well worth it. The cot could be placed around the corner from the beds near the door,many we all slept better for it. Plus it comes with breakfast. I only think I'd do it again on a longer route and in a commodore cabin both ways, with a little baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now