Talk

Advanced search

A month away in August. Options other than much loved caravanning in France

(7 Posts)
Now43 Sat 12-Dec-15 19:16:04

For the last few years our holidays have been in our caravan in France. Next year, I have just had permission to take a whole month off work. Dh is a teacher so we want to go away for the whole of August. Ds will be 9 and we usually love active holidays which is why caravanning usually suits us so well. We tend to head to the mountains.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else we can do next year? We have never been out of Europe as a family but I'm wondering if this would be a good opportunity.

Thanks

Manopaws Sun 13-Dec-15 20:09:50

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam spring to mind. you can be as active or inactive as you like. Don't stay in one place move around and see all you can would be a great eye opener for you DS

bojorojo Sun 13-Dec-15 20:45:05

Not sure what money you have, but South Africa is great value at the moment. Very outdoors and adventurous if you want it. August is winter so guest houses etc cost less so your rand will go further. Game viewing, mountains, and possibly whales at Hermanus would be wonderful. Otherwise I think Canada would suit you. Mountains, bears and whales (again!) would be my top pick. Maybe hire a motor home?

rookiemere Mon 14-Dec-15 19:20:10

We did 3 weeks in Canada and it was fabulous and would I think, suit you well.

Highlights were body boarding in Tofino ( DS and DH that is not me), downhill cycling in Whistler ( ditto), those sky rope things ( again not me), white water rafting etc. etc.

I can send you a more detailed summary of what we did if that's of interest to you - 3 weeks wasn't long enough as we squeezed in the Rockies as well, but a month should be ample.

mummymeister Tue 15-Dec-15 11:11:42

heres another vote for Canada. absolutely brilliant holiday there. agree with rookiemere 3 weeks was nowhere near enough. message me also if you want more details.

also we went to Belize for 2 weeks and if you are adventurous this could suit you too. No need to take malarials here and you could combine it with say some time on the east coast of the USA. envy at having 4 weeks off. just drifting off imagining all the lovely places I could go if it were me.

Now43 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:09:10

Thank you so much! Rookie when searching recently I saw your Canada posts and it has definitely got me thinking. I just don't fancy Asia for some reason, but hadn't thought about Belize or South Africa so thank you!

rookiemere Thu 17-Dec-15 17:12:07

I've sent you a PM with our itinery Now43.

I can't recommend Canada highly enough. Just a word of warning though, if you're planning to do it by motorhome, or indeed want to stay in most of the places listed on my message , now's the time to start booking. I know it seems uber early, but the RV sites - particularly the highly popular ones like Lake Louise - book up uber early. They're mostly cancellable with no penalty - I did a lot of rejigging of our trip, so even if you change your plans you won't lose out.

We flew with air transat - I thought they were fine, DS joined the kids club and got free snacks and a blanket which he was well chuffed about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now