Talk

Advanced search

Flying to NZ with 20 month old - sleeping arrangements?

(12 Posts)
Loops81 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:53:22

We are flying to New Zealand with our 20 month old at Christmas. We have booked the seats with extra space and a bassinet but she will be slightly too big for the bassinet - she doesn't have her own seat. Has anyone done this before and where did you put the toddler to sleep? I'm not sure I will be able to sleep myself if she is in my lap all night! Would they let us make a little bed on the floor with a pram liner or something, do you think? Just want to make sure I bring everything we need to make the journey bearable!

CMOTDibbler Thu 10-Dec-15 11:58:44

She can't sleep on the floor. Which airline are you flying with?

DangerMouth Thu 10-Dec-15 12:12:09

I wouldn't take those basinet seats if your dd won't fit as the armrests don't lift up. If you just have 2 normal seats you can lift the arm rests and take in turns of letting her sleep and getting some sleep yourself.

We took dd1 to Australia when she was just a bit over 2 but l would always have bought her a seat. It's such a long way and then you have jet lag to deal with.

Good luck, hope you have a lovely Christmas smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 10-Dec-15 15:13:35

Which airline are you using?.

I would pay for her own seat as a matter of course. She is too big for the bassinet and bulkhead seats often have armrests that do not move.

No cabin crew will let your child sleep on the floor due to the risk of turbulence.

Take her favourite food that she likes and plenty of it; do not rely on them to at all fully provide.

mrsmortis Fri 11-Dec-15 08:43:13

The advantage of the bassinet seats is that you have a significant amount of floor space in front of you. I've never flown to NZ but I've done california and back every year since my DD1 was born. That floor space was our lifesaver. We took a blanket which we could spread on the floor and DD sat there and played quite happily for hours. She also slept there. She was out of everyone's way and the only time we had to disturb her was when the seat belt lights were on, when she had to be on our laps.

potap123 Fri 11-Dec-15 08:46:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeadDreamer Fri 11-Dec-15 08:47:18

I have done it. With babies and toddlers. It's hard! They won't fit in a bassinet. In fact it's very dangerous if they actually can sit up, especially when you fell asleep. What we did is when the flight attendants aren't looking, we put blankets on the floor and let them sleep under our feet. Most of the flight attendants don't have problems iwth it, but we did get told by one it's a health and safety risk. Otherwise, it's on your chest. They can't sleep sitting up anyway. We managed to get an extra seat on every flight, but it's more for stretching space for us.

HeadDreamer Fri 11-Dec-15 08:48:39

As for turbulence, you are required to take baby out of bassinet and rebuckle into your belt anyway. You simply have to pick her up and put her on your lap. It's not good as it keeps waking them up.

vvviola Fri 11-Dec-15 08:54:57

We flew a lot with DD1 around that age (and we've done the NZ flight, although with 5month old, and then 3 year old).

If you are flying Air NZ can you switch for the Skycouch? (Flying with a toddler is about the only time I can see that working as an option, I think it could be too cramped otherwise).

Otherwise, we always went with begging for a spare seat if the plane wasn't full, and having DD lie half on me/DH and half on the seat. Not ideal, but she usually would sleep fairly well.

I'd actually see about booking the extra seat for her. She'll still have to sit on you lap for takeoff/landing though.

Oh, and in my experience of long haul, you are never guaranteed the bassinet - we were told that the youngest baby gets it

nephrofox Fri 11-Dec-15 08:55:14

I wasn't allowed to play with my 8 months old on the floor, on the basis that I couldn't reach the oxygen if it suddenly was required.

I would pay for a seat for that length flight.

specialsubject Fri 11-Dec-15 18:22:03

planes rarely hit unexpected turbulence, but it can happen - this is why you keep your belt on when you are seated. Stops you crashing into the ceiling.

just a thought as to why a seat and a belt for her may be an idea.

Whatdoidohelp Sun 27-Dec-15 12:19:13

Depending on airline could you afford premium economy or business. It's a hell of a long flight in economy. I did it when traveling after uni. I would never ever do it with a baby. The jet lag will be awful aswell so you need to make sure the baby does sleep as well as you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now