Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations Please - awkward family seek place in the sun

(8 Posts)
TheCurlyMurderer Mon 07-Dec-15 21:41:45

Thank you for reading and hopefully helping us! First time on holiday for myself, DP and DS (5) anywhere but with friends or pure self-catering somewhere quite isolated.

We're awkward in that DP and I are quite insular so bungalows or anywhere we can have our own peace - but would like a kids club so DP and I can have some time alone. It's been a very stressful year and we all need to relax in the sun.

Near a beach would be perfect. I don't really care where we go though short-haul would be good (I hate flying) Canaries, Greece etc etc but would grit my teeth if it were perfect. We're looking at Easter 2016. Budget flexible within reason: we're not unrealistic but don't want to have to sell DS grin.

Would welcome all your seasoned advice and will be very grateful for same.

ScottishDiblet Mon 07-Dec-15 21:53:48

Hmm I really don't know if it would be right but how about the villas at the Ritz-Carlton Abama in Tenerife? There's a kids' club there that is free (I think) and at the villas you get your own pool. We stayed in the hotel part and it was amazing but we weren't looking to be on our own and it was quite busy. There is a lovely beach there. Lots of great restaurants if you fancy eating out. Very child friendly. Enjoy!

TheCurlyMurderer Mon 07-Dec-15 22:41:31

Thanks so much Scottish - it looks amazing and I will have a (virtual) good nosey round. We aren't anti-social (am Northern!) but like to be able to take or leave things on our own terms and not stuck in the middle if we don't like it, iyswim. I've never done this kind of holiday before and dont know what to expect...

mouldycheesefan Tue 08-Dec-15 05:41:07

You may find Easter is too early for many of the Greek resorts they eye really start opening in May, but you may find some open earlier.
A villa sounds your best bet with private pool try James villas they have onsite kids facilities at some locations

mummymeister Tue 08-Dec-15 14:47:40

check out the weather on accuweather before you book anywhere in case it is colder than you are expecting/want. Easter is a funny time of year and very likely not to be swimming pool weather. always check that they have a heated pool and that they put the heating on. tripadvisor is good for checking this out once you have picked somewhere you like.

Unless you go upmarket then everywhere is going to be busy in school holidays because of the gove changes. you either find somewhere quiet and secluded with no kids club or somewhere with a kids club that also has lots of other (sometimes noisy/rowdy) kids! good luck.

bojorojo Sun 13-Dec-15 20:51:08

I would check out somewhere in the Caribbean. You would get the weather and children's clubs that are actually open. Europe is very iffy at Easter.

venusinscorpio Sun 13-Dec-15 21:12:13

Easter is in late March next year - I think Canaries might be the best bet. Greece will be a bit chilly. Or Dom Rep or Florida if not too far.

Agree it depends on whether you want your kids entertained, at the price of being in a place with lots of other kids! I'd skip that and rent a private villa with pool/games stuff etc in one of the Canary Islands. If you are in a villa you can both sit outside in your private garden perfectly safely when your DS goes to bed and have some you time.

notafanofwinter Mon 14-Dec-15 17:27:08

Op you could've described DH & me. Ours are much older now but we stayed here about 4 times when they were little.
www.simpsontravel.com/greece-holidays/zakynthos/villas/periyali-creche-and-childrens-club

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now