Talk

Advanced search

Ireland for the weekend - where to go?

(13 Posts)
AimUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 15:32:16

Hi,

I'm thinking of booking a weekend break to Ireland. I would like to go to a spa hotel or just a lovely hotel. Any recommendations? I do not even know which city we should go to!

Thanks!

DipsoHippo Tue 01-Dec-15 15:35:34

Are you in Ireland? Or coming from UK/Europe? Are you thinking of flying or sailing? If you knew what airport for example, it would narrow down the areas a bit, as it'd be a pain to land in e.g. Cork and have recommendations for the other end of the country.

AimUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 15:39:38

Hi dipso, sorry! We are coming from England.

We have the option to land at Dublin, Cork or Shannon.

Thanks

timelytess Tue 01-Dec-15 15:43:46

Shannon for Doolin/Lahinch/Liscannor.

merrygoround51 Tue 01-Dec-15 15:49:18

You have lots of options

If you want luxury spa (no children allowed) try Monart in Wexford - a train ride from Dublin. Its a rural location

If you want to stay in Dublin, the Merrion hotel has a nice spa as does the Shelbourne, the Westbury has no spa but it also lovely.

Into Cork, Hayfield Manor in the city is lovely or Castlemartyr just outside

If you wanted to trek a bit The Park in Kenmare is beautiful

Enjoy

AimUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 16:07:36

Thank you Merry! The spa looks gorgeous! How long would it be on the train from the Airport?

DipsoHippo Tue 01-Dec-15 16:21:29

No worries, that narrows it down! You have plenty of scope there, loads of lovely places to visit.

Dublin is my stomping ground, not v familiar with Cork or Shannon.

You can't get the train from the airport into Dublin. It's only serviced by buses or taxis. There is an express that gets you into city in about 20 mins (if traffic isn't too heavy)

I'd go for the Merrion or Shelbourne, have a day relaxing and a day wandering around the city followed by dinner and drinks.

Really want a night out now!

AimUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 16:31:19

Dipso, thank you! Which one would you recommend, Merrion or Shelbourne?

merrygoround51 Tue 01-Dec-15 16:39:19

Train would be about an hour but you have to get to the city centre to get the train so maybe 2 hours travelling in total

The Merrion is, in my opinion, nicer than the shelbourne

AimUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 16:43:43

Thanks! Are there reasonably priced restaurants nearby the merrion? Are there chain restaurants like pizza express and wagamama for example?

DipsoHippo Tue 01-Dec-15 16:50:37

Unfortunately I've never had an excuse to stay in either envy

The Merrion is a short walk to St Stephens Green and Grafton St. Grafton St is one of the main shopping areas (pedestrian street, loads of shops), and you have plenty of choice of eateries.

Pizza Express is called "Milanos" here, there is also Wagamama, Nandos etc. Lots of lovely little restaurants too, if you don't fancy one of the bigger chains.

If you look on their websites, anything in Dublin 2 will be close to Grafton St.

Radyward Tue 01-Dec-15 23:25:17

Hi there ,

You will have such a fab time based in Dun Laoghaire . There is a few nice restaurants there but if you get the dart train to Blackrock( posh suburb ) there are loads of lovely pubs, cafes and restaurants there for a good night out -you could get the train back to Dun but I'd taxi It back -only a shortish run so shouldn't be too expensive. . I think you could spend such a lovely day getting the 46a into the centre -the bus driver will let you off at the side o f Trinity college which is at the top of grafton st - lovely pubs for a Saturday 'medicinal ' on all the little streets off grafton, . At the top is stephens green which is a lovely park.
There is all the uk restaurant chains in the centre .
Temple Bar is a joke - full of stags and hens and drunks . No one living and working in Dublin goes out there on a regular basis -KIP VILL
I met Dh in cafe en seine - a great pub for a coffee / drink on Saturday or a night out - it's on a street behind grafton -ask- everyone knows it
Davy byrne s and the bailey are off grafton st and are great bars .

Getting the dart in will Bring you into pears e street station and it's a bit of a walk to grafton street so hence me suggesting the 46 a bus
O'connell st is a bit rough as are the Quays .
You might have to book the Guinness brewery -apparently it s absolutely jam packed at the mo'
if I think of anything else I'll let you know
just on the evening herald paper tonight it was a headline regarding tourist theft so be mega careful with your money and things - Dublin is great but like any city you have to be aware !!!!

dreamingofsun Wed 02-Dec-15 14:49:40

thanks radyward....really excited about going and thanks for the tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now