Talk

Advanced search

Last holiday before the school years start - where would you go?

(12 Posts)
Misty9 Mon 30-Nov-15 20:22:30

Ds starts school next year and we'll be restricted to school holiday times only. So I want to make the most of it and do something amazing before then.

Dc are 4 and 2 next April. Budget is £2-3K. We don't like really hot weather.

Ideas?

dreamingofsun Tue 01-Dec-15 14:13:14

if you don't like hot weather and with kids of that age i would go to brittany in france. a mobile home site or failing that a guite...can never spell that. depends where you live in the uk though as travelling to the channel ports would be a bit of a treck from scotland

Gattabianca Tue 01-Dec-15 16:36:52

Does your budget include spending or is it just for flights and accommodation?
I'm thinking about this too. Trying to plan in as many holidays as possible ro places that will be much more expensive in school holidays.
No hot weather rules out quite a lot of places that I'm thinking about, like Caribbean, gulf coast and Thailand.
Maybe Canada or Northern USA, or some European cities?

Fuckitfay Tue 01-Dec-15 18:43:27

I would go somewhere that's horrendously busy in school holidays but which is quite pleasant in term time like Centre Parcs / Butlins/ Bluestone (not for everyone), Eurodisney, perhaps the touristy parts of Lake District / Cornwall which are not so pleasant in school holidays.

poocatcherchampion Tue 01-Dec-15 18:45:58

If we were doing adventures we would travel across america - maybe north to south.

Else eurorailing

Or a nice long camping holiday in west Europe - which is the less adventurois option as we do that most summers but we could go further..

Misty9 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:41:42

We had half planned a mega road trip holiday to California - but then we did a package holiday to Majorca in September and reconsidered! grin dd, the younger one, is not a good car traveller and we were concerned that we would spend thousands and not really get to properly experience it.

Haven't attempted camping yet, but I have fond (ish!) memories of camping as a child. We loved travelling to Eastern Europe before kids so maybe we need to do some thing similar....hmm.

Misty9 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:42:38

Oh, and budget doesn't include spending.

Misty9 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:47:40

gattabianca does your dd start school next year too? How many holidays are you thinking of having? You've got me thinking now! I also finish my current contract in February so could take an extended period of time off then, but where would we go in February??

Misty9 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:48:23

That should say dc, not dd - I've no idea what children you have smile

Gattabianca Wed 02-Dec-15 16:10:51

Misty No he starts in 2017, I am planning ahead grin
We are trying to have 2-3 weeks per year in typical family friendly short haul places like Menorca, Sardinia etc, which would be so much more expensive and crowded in July or August.
When he's at school I think we'll do holidays we can drive to, like self catering uk or France. Might do a European road trip. Can you tell I love holidays?

Have you considered skiing? You can still ski in a most resorts in April and it's so much cheaper and less crowded outside of school holidays.

mouldycheesefan Wed 02-Dec-15 16:45:37

Scandinavia?
Greek island hopping, won't be too hot at Easter

Scottish islands
Ireland
Iceland
Canada

Millymollymama Wed 02-Dec-15 21:35:41

I have been to southern California in February and it was great. Not too hot and comfortable. Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and La Jolla would be lovely. Spring is great too. If you don't travel too far north, the driving is manageable so children will not be bored. Lots of things to see and do. Children welcome everywhere. Avoid Disney and the other parks. I think your children (and you!) would find other things far more interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now