Advanced search

Need to prove to travel insurance that I used my EHIC

(15 Posts)
tich31 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:54:45

I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question about using the EHIC card. I used it in France and have been sent an invoice but unfortunately there is no mention of my card on the invoice so my travel insurance won't waive the excess on the policy.

I've emailed the hospital but as yet have had no reply. I was wondering if there was a way to find out from somewhere in this country that I've used it abroad?


iwantgin Mon 23-Nov-15 22:09:52

I have never had to use mine so am not sure

How about looking on trip advisor forum for France? You might find out more on there?

In the meantime I will have a look.

iwantgin Mon 23-Nov-15 22:41:07

I'm not having much joy. Will do a better search tomorrow.

So far this is all I have, which you have probably already read.

iwantgin Mon 23-Nov-15 22:42:45

Uh, I didn't copy. Was just the NHS which websites

Littlemissjt Mon 23-Nov-15 22:45:47

I got treatment in Greece for an allergic reaction a few years ago and gave the doc my ehic card along with insurance docs and he said the ehic card meant nothing to them he was only interested in the documents.
I don't know if that's particularly helpful but I don't know how you prove you used it?

tich31 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:46:38

Thanks for trying to help.

yeah.. I looked at the NHS website but couldn't find a way to actually contact them to ask the question.

It's a bit frustrating when I've actually gone through the process but looks like I'm still going to have to pay excess!

Inaminutenow Mon 23-Nov-15 22:48:57

I used my son's EHIC card when he needed to see a doctor on holidays in Germany a few years ago. Had to pay for consultation and medicine in cash (approx. £120). When we got back, I got in touch with EHIC, who sent some type of claim form. Completed the form and returned it with the invoice and receipts and received a cheque a few weeks later.
Can't remember though whether the invoice mentioned anything about the EHIC card...

tribpot Mon 23-Nov-15 22:51:28

Did you see the bit on the Choices website about " For more information call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 0191 218 1999."? It may be some time before the hospital get around to notifying the NHS about the invoice so it's them I'd keep chasing (don't know about French hospitals but in the UK I'd be tempted to write/fax rather than email).

nattyknitter Mon 23-Nov-15 22:59:43

Did you get a white and brown form when you left? A Feuille de Soins?

f1fan2015 Mon 23-Nov-15 23:01:39

My mum fell ill in Switzerland and used her EHIC card. She received an invoice for the cost of the ambulance and contacted EHIC, sent off the invoice and the invoice was paid.

Luckily the reciprocal agreement meant the thousands of pounds her intensive care cost was paid for by the various levels of Swiss government, for which I am eternally grateful but I now make sure she always has travel insurance when coming to visit us

tich31 Mon 23-Nov-15 23:40:14

I think there's been some change since July 2014 about claiming through the EHIC? Have I understood that correct?

I didn't get any forms when I left.

Obviously due to lack of understanding at time I just presumed handing over my card and the details being taken would be enough.

Thanks for any advice.

tich31 Mon 23-Nov-15 23:41:47

are you saying I should phone that UK line and ask for help? Or keep trying the hospital?


tribpot Tue 24-Nov-15 00:20:41

It can't hurt to call the UK number and see if they are able to confirm whether a claim has been received against your EHIC number - I can't imagine this is something that they would routinely answer questions about but you never know.

The July 2014 changes are described here. If a French citizen would pay a surcharge for a hospital visit you can't claim that back. Details for France are here - look under 'Health Services and Costs', it says "If you are admitted to hospital, make sure you present your EHIC or your "carte vitale" on admission. This will ensure you only pay the patient contribution." (Suggesting there is an amount you can't claim back even with the EHIC, not quite what your insurer is telling you). It also has contact details: Contact the Centre des Liaisons Européennes et Internationales de Sécurité Sociale (CLEISS) for more advice before you travel. Call 0033 1 45 26 33 41 from the UK or email

tich31 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:40:50

The hospital is just not replying to any of my emails.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm just going to have to pay the much for having travel insurance and an EHIC card!

f1fan2015 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:32:28

According to the NHS website, that is what you need to do. Pay the invoice then claim the money back off the NHS

If the EHIC does not cover your treatment then you claim from your travel insurance

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: