Talk

Advanced search

Dublin - which area is best?

(10 Posts)
dreamingofsun Mon 23-Nov-15 18:39:38

We are planning a trip to Dublin for a special celebration and i just can't decide which area is best? I don't want anywhere noisy at night, we need easy access to the city centre and bars/restaurants (but not the hen/stag/very noisy type). where should we go/or avoid?

WhittlingIhopMonkey Tue 24-Nov-15 20:52:53

For a special occassion stay up around Stephens Green - the Shelbourne, Westbury or Fitzwilliam. It's very pretty, walking distance to everywhere great to eat and drink but not noisy at night.

Goes without saying don't stay in Templebar if you want quiet. THe North side of the city around OConnell St wouldn't be the nicest for a special occassion.

Stick with south side near Stephens green and you won't go wrong smile

ChristmasPartyDress Tue 24-Nov-15 20:54:50

I stayed in the travel lodge behind st stephen's green. I wanted something central and cheap. It's not a hotel with character obviously but it did the trick.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 24-Nov-15 20:55:42

We've stayed at the Westbury, great location, just off grafton street, but not noisy, and very central and walking distance of most things

ChristmasPartyDress Tue 24-Nov-15 20:55:50

its address is mercer street.

dreamingofsun Wed 25-Nov-15 11:33:26

thanks for the help ladies......i confess i thought everyone was ignoring me so we booked dun laoghaire in the end - i know its a bit outside dublin, but i just wasn't clear on dublin areas - nearly chose templebar but thankfully not. Dun laoghaire sounds fine online and we thought we'd get the mix of sea and city life then? please don't tell me its nasty (the flat looks nice anyway)

ChippyOikInAWowGuna Mon 30-Nov-15 17:05:33

You'll be fine in Dun Laoghaire. It's mixed but it is a big town. It is on the dart and the 46a bus goes in to dublin centre. That's a regular bus too.

Zucker Mon 30-Nov-15 17:10:07

Dun Laoghaire is a fine place. To be honest Dublin's not that big so no matter where you are you're within about 20 minutes of the city centre. Enjoy your stay!

Jackie0 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:10:46

Bit disappointed for you that you aren't plumping for the westbury but then I'm all about the shops and couldn't care less about the coast , so projecting grin

abbieanders Mon 30-Nov-15 17:14:52

Dun Laoghaire would be a lovely place to stay even if you don't go anywhere else in Dublin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now