Ferry to Bruges, terror status, money back?(10 Posts)
Me and a friend booked a ferry to Bruges this Tuesday for the xmas market, since then the terror alert in Brussels has been upped to imminent and it seems they are expecting a Paris type attack possibly in multiple places! I called p and o on Saturday when this happened and discussed it with them, they informed me that because they weren't issuing a no travel warning we could not get our money back, but that I would have to contact wowcher who we booked it through in order to see about a refund, they aren't open until tomorrow which is the day before we are due to go. I am an anxious person at the best of times and I simply cannot face going anymore, I know the chances of something happening are slim etc etc but for lots of different reasons I have assessed the situation and decided I will not enjoy the holiday and the risks are too much. My question is basically can any one give me any advice on trying to get my money back, I know it might be a long shot but some advice on the best thing to say, or if there is any extrumuating circumstances that I can use to give me more of a chance. Obviously if we can't we can't and mainly I'd like to get my friends money back as its more my decision not to go than hers! Thanks in advance x
What is the current foreign office advice? If they're advising against travel you should be okay to claim in your travel insurance.
Unfortunately it will be nigh on impossible unless the foreign office advise against travel, which even with the current situation is incredibly unlikely.
Bruges is nowhere near Brussels. It's like not going to Bath because London is on high alert
There is no telling where in tho country these people are, if there was a terrorist or numerous terrorists in London could you safely and confidently say they hadn't made their way to bath? It's not a call I'm willing to make! Either the city so highly locked down and policed I would imagine it's more likely they have moved on to a less secure place! A Christmas market, filled with crowds of people of all different nationalities, with numerous routes in and out and not security checks to get in seems like a place I wouldn't like to be at the minute! Also the ferries from uk are being suggested as targets due to their low security and high volume of people etc! Anyway i have decided I do not want to take the risk, I assume the travel company is under no obligation to give me my money back, I shall try and hope they understand but I'm not holding out too much hope! x
Well I disagree because the terrorists won't be able to get to Bruges because all routes/transport are being massively heavily policed.
Anyway, you've made your mind up but I doubt you'll get your money back unless the FO is advising against travel. What a shame
There's a big thing around the ferries at the moment too which is a big factor in my decision, car after car are regularly let on to ferries with no security checks what so ever they simply do not have the staff or facilities to check all of them. Also these people have already managed to evade police in paris and escape to Brussels, so I wouldn't like to bet where they could or couldn't get! Anyway you might be right and I might be being over cautious, but I'm happy to be over cautious in circumstances like this! Thanks for the help, as there is no no travel notices I don't think I will be able to get my money back but at this stage it's gone no matter what, if I were to go I wouldn't enjoy myself so the money would be wasted anyway! Thanks for the advice
it is most unlikely but for the sake of a phone call, have you asked your travel insurers?
are the markets open - if not the point of your trip is gone.
as I said, very unlikely, but perhaps worth a go.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.