Talk

Advanced search

Holiday booked - can we change to a different destination??

(9 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Fri 06-Nov-15 23:15:43

I'm asking here as can't find an answer on first choice website and thought someone on here might know.

We have booked (and paid for) a holiday to Morocco in March but DP is worrying about terrorism threats after the plane in Egypt this week. Is it possible to change our booking to somewhere else? Would we lose our deposit?

I've never been overly bothered / scared off by terrorism but I also don't want us worrying and it spoiling a much needed break so we decided to see where we stood with if we can change it and if it would cost us lots to do so.

birchygoo Fri 06-Nov-15 23:35:50

If you look at countries at risk - was on BBC page - morrocco was at lower risk than Spain, France, Uk. I was there last year and they made sure to let it be known that they were distance from the terrorist attacks and that with being on west coast has helped them remain distant. Although they are bloody mental there traffic wise!

I can understand that you would be anxious, although I think unfortunately if its not made a no go zone travel companies are reluctant to let you change. It !might be worth giving them a call. If they don't allow you though please go and enjoy it as it is a great country with great people. I loved it!!

AuntieStella Fri 06-Nov-15 23:37:35

FCO travel advice: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

It says it's a high risk for terrorism, but doesn't say don't go. So you'll have to follow the standard admin for changes (if there's provision for that) or just get into your best persuasive mode and hope for goodwill.

birchygoo Fri 06-Nov-15 23:41:50

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11707583/Mapped-Terror-threat-around-the-world.html

I couldn't find BBC link but it was similar to this one on the telegraph

specialsubject Sat 07-Nov-15 17:05:36

you can change, the financial penalties will be according to whatever the contract with your holiday company says.

unless FCO advice changes, of course.

mummymeister Sat 07-Nov-15 18:35:35

if you change because you want to rather than because of FO advice then it is going to be expensive because basically you want to end the contract. look at the small print carefully and speak to an operator on the phone to get a clearer idea. you might find it is financially not viable at this stage. agree that nowadays you have to choose where you are going really carefully when booking in advance.

Hersetta427 Tue 10-Nov-15 12:56:58

As you are outside of 71 days before travel you can change for an admin fee of £50 per person plus any additional holiday cost (if the new one is more expensive than your existing one).

The UK says it is at high risk of terrorism too (as does france and Spain - no-where is 100% sake anymore).

Manopaws Sun 15-Nov-15 19:23:57

The airport in Morocco sees to have good security so don't worry. Let's face it they are just a small gang of nutters which are more likely to hit your local village fate that try to hit another airplane. Odds are its the USA that are next on the hit list

What hersetta'said, just bear in mind that if your new holiday is cheaper you still pay the higher price. If you cancel you'll lose your deposit, and if you've only paid the low deposit you will still be liable for the top up deposit. Morocco is one of the few countries not on high alert so if you are thinking of changing do look at the fco map. Afaik there's only Morocco, Portugal & Italy listed as Amber unless you want to go further afield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now