Talk

Advanced search

Places to stay in New York City

(16 Posts)
Trumpette Fri 06-Nov-15 14:39:15

Hello

I am taking my kids to NYC next Spring and would like suggestions as to places to stay! They will be 8 and 10 when we travel.

Thanks in advance

Want2bSupermum Fri 06-Nov-15 14:41:27

What is your budget?

There are cheaper hotels in Brooklyn and Jersey City. The exact hotels to suggest depends on your budget!

Trumpette Fri 06-Nov-15 14:45:07

At the moment I am trying to get an idea of the cost! So please offer suggestions and we can take it from there tbh!?

Want2bSupermum Fri 06-Nov-15 14:58:02

Well in Manhattan hotels can be found from about $300-$500 a night midweek but cost more at weekends. Jerset City and Brooklyn run about $150-450 a night. These prices include taxes and breakfast.

pinkhousesarebest Fri 06-Nov-15 17:50:52

We have just had a fantastic week in Williamsburg thanks to Air b and b. I had booked before becoming aware that there could be potential problems due to the progressive outlawing of sub-rentals , however it was amazingly smooth and very cheap. And we were 4 minutes from the subway and Manhattan.

Want2bSupermum Fri 06-Nov-15 18:21:35

I would be very very wary of doing airb&b in NYC because it is against rental and coop rules in most buildings. You will have a hard time getting your money back if they kick you out. Also, you don't know the areas that well. With downtown Jersey City and Hoboken you are safe and there are no sudden changes in those areas. In Brooklyn that isn't the case. You can have a very different level of safety in a space of 2 blocks. You have 2 DC and I would not be doing AirB&B in NYC. VRBO has registered vacation apartments if thats what you want but ask on here about areas. If I don't know the area well I can ask a colleague, most of whom live in Queens/Brooklyn.

mumblechum1 Fri 06-Nov-15 18:25:03

DS stayed recently in both the Trump Soho and Holiday Inn (Midtown) Trump was q a bit more expensive but he and his girlfriend loved it. HI also "V nice, clean and good location".

RealSellotape Fri 06-Nov-15 18:30:03

We stayed here when our dc were a similar age in a 2 bed apartment with a small kitchen area. Very central. Really good.

MuttsNutts Fri 06-Nov-15 18:36:48

I stayed here with my son earlier this year.

It is on a quiet street in Murray Hill which felt very safe but is just a short walk from Times Square and Grand Central and was easy to get to everywhere from there. It has friendly staff and huge rooms and we were upgraded for free to a corner studio with an amazing view of the Chrysler Building (others have the Empire State) so don't be shy to ask for a fab room with a view if you book.

I would definitely go back there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others.

Want2bSupermum Fri 06-Nov-15 19:23:03

My go to in Manhattan is the Murry hill Inn. They charge me $120 a night for their basement room which is ensuite but this doesn't include breakfast. I think their mid week rate is about $150-200 a night depending on the time of year.

Chimchar Fri 06-Nov-15 19:38:04

We have just come back from a week in NYC with our 3 kids! It was AMAZING!

We stayed in Hilton Home2 Suites in Long Island City. It was a large room with a small kitchenette. They provide breakfast but no other meals. You are allowed to take meals into the hotel, and we passed a good few food delivery drivers in the lifts!

There is a pizza takeaway just down the road. The train station is a well lit two minute walk away and is only about 6 or so minutes away from Manhattan.

We bought a metro pass for $31 each which gave us a weeks unlimited travel on subways and busses. We had no need to go in taxis but we did walk a lot!

We would go back again in a heartbeat.

Missanneshirley Fri 06-Nov-15 20:52:52

Hotel Beacon all the way! Big rooms, self catering facilities, amazing location near the museum and park. I'd go back in a heartbeat. We had kids aged 6 and 3 with us, they loved it. The reviews on trip advisor sold it to me and they were right to be so gushing!

Missanneshirley Fri 06-Nov-15 20:53:35

Oh chimchar sorry , that's funny, lots of heartbeats around !

PUGaLUGS Fri 06-Nov-15 21:02:19

In August we stayed in the Westin Grand Central in Manhattan. Great for getting to everything.

Trumpette Sun 22-Nov-15 18:47:23

Thank you everyone lots of recommendations!

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received.

KitKat1985 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:43:26

web.jollymadison.com/

Depends on your budget. We stayed at the above place a few years ago as we were on a reasonably limited budget but wanted to stay somewhere central. The rooms are comfy if a bit small. It's really near grand central station though so great for getting around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now