Talk

Advanced search

City breaks with DC

(28 Posts)
chicaguapa Sun 01-Nov-15 17:12:34

DH & I love city breaks but DC (14 & 11) don't share our love of aimless wandering and people watching.

What cities would you recommend to take them to?

We've been to Barcelona and Paris, both of which DC enjoyed. They liked Bruges for the chocolate but didn't like walking around. We'd love to go to New York but it's too expensive and I'd perhaps like to wait until they're a couple of years older for Amsterdam.

We're not into churches/ museums unless it's Le Louvre and I've been looking at Venice but DC aren't keen.

LIZS Sun 01-Nov-15 17:21:43

What time of year? Venice is all about ambling around though.

SwedishEdith Sun 01-Nov-15 17:26:28

Rome and Venice are both good choices. Valencia is meant to be lovely and has a beach.

Lemonfizzypop Sun 01-Nov-15 18:08:11

Berlin? Loads of interesting historical stuff to do, cool restaurants & cafes.

Allinafankle Mon 02-Nov-15 19:01:02

I second Berlin, or what about Lisbon? Wonderful place!

chicaguapa Mon 02-Nov-15 19:17:07

I fancied Berlin but wasn't sure if there was enough to interest DC. DH & I have been to Lisbon. I wasn't overwhelmed tbh, except by the custard tarts and El Corte Ingles. grin

Maybe I'll force them to Venice. I've been to Rome loads of times so whilst I know it'll be good for DC, I feel like going somewhere new.

I was thinking February half term, or Easter holidays at a push. I'm not too worried about the weather unless it's Paris which is freezing in February.

Lemonfizzypop Mon 02-Nov-15 19:29:28

Oh I think they're a good age for Berlin- so much recent history, Berlin Wall and obviously WWll, the more recent the more interesting it tends to be to young people in my experience!

And it's very arty. I'd imagine it would also be freezing in February though!

May09Bump Mon 02-Nov-15 19:32:51

Madrid - loads to see / do. You can get there metro from the airport straight into the centre, very cheaply / fast.

CottonSock Mon 02-Nov-15 19:33:21

Berlin is massive, a lot to do, but I went in summer and I think winter would be freezing. In June it was far too hot really. I loved Lisbon though so our perspective may differ

slightlyglitterpaned Mon 02-Nov-15 19:42:09

www.venice-carnival-italy.com/calendar.php

I don't suppose you'd be going early enough to see any of the Carnival would you? It's pretty awesome, lots of people dressed up just wandering around posing in fantastic costumes, various events etc to watch.

gingerdad Mon 02-Nov-15 19:43:18

Rome or Stockholm.

Onsera3 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:47:21

Rome is a good one. Not too cold. Great food and gelato all a fraction of the cost of Venice.

Holstein Mon 02-Nov-15 19:48:51

York is wonderful, I live it so much.
Manchester has lots going on.
Vienna is fascinating, and very easy to navigate.
Copenhagen is fantastic.
There are going to be cheap flights to New York (Icelandic air? Norwegian air? One of them) soon, which might be a possibility.
Rejkyavik of course.
I'm eyeing up Munich next.

rookiemere Mon 02-Nov-15 19:49:58

To be honest, having just been to Venice I'm not sure as I'd recommend it for teens. Incredibly expensive and lots of wandering around, looking at churches and drinking expensive aperitifs.

A few places they might enjoy:

Madrid - I went for a city break there and was very impressed. Nice modern city with a fabulous tapas hall and lots to see

Cologne - Chocolate museum best ever ( will be chilly in Feb)

Vienna - Christmas markets are fab ( as above re temperature)

Brussels - Manneken Pees would I think be enjoyed by teens, lumiere show in the evenings in the summer

SwedishEdith Mon 02-Nov-15 20:01:31

What about Bilbao? Then you can get a train to San Sebastian as well.

chicaguapa Mon 02-Nov-15 20:58:04

Madrid could be an option. We have family/ friends in Copenhagen, York & Manchester so know them fairly well. I've been to Bilbao/SS and don't think they're DC's cup of tea.

The Venice carnival ends Wednesday of half term so doable, but the flights have all gone up since I looked on Saturday so suspect it's been priced out now.

Having perused some websites, I'm going to have a look at Malaga. I think north Europe will be too cold, which is a shame as Amsterdam was sneaking its way back on the list. We were frozen in Paris, even with thermals and skiwear on, and we vowed never to go in February again.

CottonSock Tue 03-Nov-15 05:55:20

Have you considered Marrakesh? That would keep them interested.

FarticCircle Tue 03-Nov-15 06:04:48

If you are thinking mid February I would really recommend Basel (It has it's own Carnivale called Fasnacht). I would investigate if the dates suit and definitely go if they work for you.

Other than Fasnacht it is a really good small city with lots to do for all age groups.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 03-Nov-15 08:59:54

Basel, like all of Switzerland though, is hideously expensive.

juneau Tue 03-Nov-15 09:07:03

If you want warm in Feb in Europe you're really limiting yourselves to southern Spain - so yes Malaga or Palma would both work. The Med can be rainy though until March/April, so you're not guaranteed good weather. If you wait until the May half-term you'll have more choices.

juneau Tue 03-Nov-15 09:08:06

Oh yes Marrakesh is a good one! I've been there and there's lots to do. The men can be rather lecherous, so cover up.

FarticCircle Tue 03-Nov-15 10:23:07

True Attila, and cold to boot, but still worth it.

chicaguapa Tue 03-Nov-15 11:02:55

I don't need warm, just not sub zero bone-chilling temperatures.

I'll have a look at Basel. The dates fit for the carnival but suspect that will be reflected in the price.

Marrakesh doesn't appeal at all tbh. Mainly as I don't like Moroccan food.

LIZS Tue 03-Nov-15 15:48:04

How about Lucerne? You could various day trips up mountains, sledding, across the lake, transport museum (if that is your thing!) as well as enjoy the old town. Iirc they do Fasnacht too. Maybe divide time between there and Zurich, Basle or Bern.

rookiemere Tue 03-Nov-15 16:37:29

Oh yes Lucerne is fabulous - there's also an amazing mirror maze which DH and I loved. Might be a tad chilly in Feb though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now