Talk

Advanced search

Best way to get from LdeV airport to The coliseum?

(7 Posts)
LilaTheTiger Sun 01-Nov-15 17:08:17

We're getting in about 11.30pm

Bus? Train? Subway? Or are taxis sensible prices?

Never been to Rome before, very excited!

LilaTheTiger Sun 01-Nov-15 17:09:15

Might break my phone over that title spelling mistake blush

Bunbaker Thu 05-Nov-15 20:55:45

I have just come back from Rome. Get a train to Termini and then the metro. You need the blue line in the direction of Laurentina. The metro is €1.50 per person each way.

Two pieces of advice for Rome - take comfortable shoes. We did a lot of walking, and keep a close eye on your belongings as pickpocketing is rife. We didn't see anything amiss nor were we targeted, but it may have been that we looked alert and not easy targets.

Bunbaker Thu 05-Nov-15 21:01:57

The station is sited within the airport BTW.

I have just seen your arrival time. The metro stops at 10.30pm during the week and the last train is just after 11.30 so it will have to be a taxi. If there are four of you taking a taxi would probably cost the same as four train fares anyway.

Have a great time. We loved Rome.

wickedwaterwitch Thu 05-Nov-15 21:11:33

My tips for Rome:

Book skip the line tickets to everything, otherwise you'll spend ages in queues - we had a VIP tour of The Colloseum so just us (5 of us) and an art historian and it was fabulous, straight in and lots of background. The queues are enormous

Agree re walking boots

There is free water everywhere and you can fill your water bottle at regular intervals

Even with skip the line tickets it takes ages to get to the sistine chapel and it was packed when we were there. Someone outside asked my mum whether it was worth it (they were in long queue) and she said yes and then worried and wanted to go back and tell them not to bother

Taxis aren't expensive

Bunbaker Thu 05-Nov-15 22:05:20

We booked skip the line for the Vatican museums and skipped the line. When we came out at 2.30 there was no queue, so you might not need to pre-book if you go in the afternoon. The crowds in the Vatican museums were quite overwhelming, and I found the Sistine Chapel rather underwhelming after the Rafael galleries.

We never managed to get into St Peters as the queue went right round the square.

The highlight for me was the Roman remains on Palatine Hill.

We also booked skip the line tickets for the colosseum.

honeyroar Mon 23-Nov-15 17:55:44

I wouldn't book Vatican museum tickets unless you are particularly into art. I too found the Sistine chapel a big let down. You can go into the actual Vatican for free and pay (10-15?) euros to climb to the roof for great views. That is much better IMO. You can't go in if the pope is speaking, weds and Sunday's, I think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now