Talk

Advanced search

paying for holiday with cash/gift card

(11 Posts)
mrsmilesmatheson Sat 17-Oct-15 16:53:40

Booked holiday online and was told by call centre that I could pop into branch and pay instalments in cash (gift from relative).

Went in today and was told that I can only pay online. Am not very happy as this would mean I have to put cash through my bank account which could well look dodgy couldn't it?

She has come up with the idea that we could buy a Thomson gift card with the cash and then pay it off the balance on line. This could be the answer.

Has anyone else paid instalments like this?

AgentProvocateur Sat 17-Oct-15 17:13:34

How do you mean it would look dodgy? Most people get money in their bank account then pay it out confused I don't understand the problem.

NickNacks Sat 17-Oct-15 17:18:57

What on earth is dodgy?

mrsmilesmatheson Sat 17-Oct-15 17:58:25

I'm talking about paying actual cash in to the bank. £3500 worth, in £500 instalments. But that is all by the by to be honest.

I'd really just like to know if anyone's bought a Thomson gift card with cash in a store, then paid for a holiday using the gift card online?

mrsmilesmatheson Sat 17-Oct-15 17:59:44

She is self employed which is why cash going through bank accounts might look dodgy.

It isn't money from his business by the way. We aren't evading tax.

mrsmilesmatheson Sat 17-Oct-15 18:00:23

Sorry, DH is self employed, not "She" (auto correct)

NerrSnerr Sat 17-Oct-15 18:05:05

I can't imagine it will look dodgy at all. Has the relative given you the money yet? Can they do a bank transfer or cheques instead?

NewBallsPlease00 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:07:36

As an aside if you have a credit card is pay with that- know there is a fee but you're covered incase of issue or conpany collapse

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 17-Oct-15 18:10:59

It wouldn't look dodgy but he also wouldn't use the business bank account, right?

I can't see the problem with buying a gift card but look into how it affects consumer rights.

mrsmilesmatheson Sat 17-Oct-15 18:16:59

That is a good point anchor, and something I should check. The credit card point is also useful thank you.

The answer I really need, is can I buy this gift card with cash? Has anyone else done it?

specialsubject Mon 19-Oct-15 11:27:34

very risky - you lose that card and bang goes all the money.

there's nothing 'dodgy' about this transaction. use a bank account and a credit card if you have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now