Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with a 4 MO and breastfeeding- tips and tricks

(11 Posts)
Bubble00 Wed 14-Oct-15 21:14:42

..k.. I'm new to parenting and booked Ryanair flights over christmas (2hr 30). Am I insane?..... I only breastfeed ATM, What should I take? What should I do?? Tips and Tricks are welcome.
Should I start using a bottle in advance? Dummy? Buy ear plugs and a round of drinks for nearby passengers?

Luckystar1 Wed 14-Oct-15 21:24:39

I flew with DS when he was 3 months, he has since been on 12 flights in his 11 months on the planet. They have all been fine. Don't panic!

Just take your boobs, easy peasy! Feed on the way up and on the way down for baby's ears. Aside from that, enjoy your trip!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Wed 14-Oct-15 21:26:57

Flying with a 4 month old will be fine. Aim to feed them on take off and landing as that'll help with the pressure in their ears. Take more nappies than you think you need and a change of clothes for both of you in case of leaky nappies. Remember to pick up water for you once you get through security - breastfeeding always made me very thirsty and even more so in a dry plane cabin.

Have a good trip!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Wed 14-Oct-15 21:31:57

Buy some good breastfeeding tops. ("Boob" makes some good ones with a lift up able panelly thing.) Don't forget your breasts. Feed on the way up and the way down. Try not to look too smug when watching other parents having to taste baby milk / wash up bottles / worry about running out if delayed. Pack lots of nappies in your hand luggage.

We went on a 4 hour flight when ds was 4 months. It was by far the easiest flight we went on with him. (Also flew when he was 10 months, 12 months, 20 months and 26 months so far.) I gave him full milky access and he thought it was his birthday!

Joopy Wed 14-Oct-15 21:33:04

It'll be fine. I've done similar flights and people are very kind when you have a tiny baby.

mrsmortis Fri 16-Oct-15 12:19:30

It's way easier at 4 months than at 8 when they are much more mobile and less inclined to sit still.

I found a sling useful when flying with a tiny one. Especially if you use it regularly so they are used to it. It means that you'll have free hands for handluggage when getting on and off the plane and if they are grumbly putting them in a sling can help to calm them down.

I second the feed them at takeoff and landing thing too. It really helps with the ears. If you are uncomfortable getting your boobs out then a large muslin to cover up with might make you more comfortable as you can't move around to be more discrete when you are strapped in for take off and landing...

NewBallsPlease00 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:10:41

Take a spare tshirt for you incase of sick incident!!!

Artandco Sat 17-Oct-15 18:35:30

No need for bottles, boobs easier. Just take nappy changing stuff and your off.

Tip is buy some water for your after security as you can get thirsty breastfeeding and drinks on plane can be delayed if flight delayed or any turbulence etc so good to have a bottle of water for yourself.

Take a thin baby blanket also as planes can be cold and you want baby snug

Sugarandsalt Sun 18-Oct-15 13:52:06

I've flown almost monthly with Ryanair since my DD was born- 2-6months was by far easier than after! Breastfeeding makes flying so much easier. If baby squeaks just boob them! I always feed at take off and landing, otherwise if baby is upset/looking for one. Often she would fall asleep after take off at that age. Second the suggestion of a blanket. And slings are invaluable in airports, make getting through security and carrying hand luggage much easier. I still carry my almost 18month old in ergo baby when travelling now.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 06-Nov-15 12:16:06

Absolutely second suggestion of change of clothes for both you and dc. Always carried spare clothes for me and child until he was about 6 years old in case of unpleasing incident. Never happened to me luckily but did happen to friend who ended up covered in vomit for a 5 hour flight.

As everyone else has said, BF makes flying quite easy - shove 'em on to regulate ear pressure and boob's your uncle(!). The nightmare is when they reach the 'standing' age at about 7 months and insist on standing and bouncing on your lap the entire journey. Or the walking stage when they can't see why they can't just walk up and down the plane....

Happy days (now long over, thank the lord).

Bubble00 Sat 07-Nov-15 16:46:16

HUGEST THANKS GUYS.
XXX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now