Talk

Advanced search

So, what's it like going on holiday to Greece at the moment?

(8 Posts)
msrisotto Fri 04-Sep-15 15:38:21

I've always wanted to go to Greece/the greek islands and it seems they could do with the tourism....so...is there any worry about planning a holiday there?

nannyafrica Fri 04-Sep-15 18:29:03

Just had a week in Corfu and loved it. Cheap flight and hotel, lovely food at local restaurant and really friendly people running the local supermarket. Weather was very very hot but had clear blue sea to swim in. Had a few days wandering Corfu Old town and did a day trip to Albania to see the Roman ruins. They was money in the atm. We used local buses to get around which was really easy. Next time we will hire a car to see smaller villages inland.

Onykahonie Fri 04-Sep-15 18:54:56

Just booked for next summer, as flights are much cheaper than normal :-)
Everything I've read says that there are very few issues and that tourists are needed/welcomed more than ever.

msrisotto Fri 04-Sep-15 19:00:55

Great!

hooliodancer Thu 24-Sep-15 17:48:51

No issues at all! I have been twice this year and it is just the same as ever. Gorgeous!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 25-Sep-15 17:05:22

We went to Corfu this summer and it was lovely. We took lost of Euros but were still able to use the cash points too.

Because of the good Euro rate everything was cheap and we had some gorgeous food.

We hired a car and drove round most of the North part of the island and we did the trip to Albania too.

Smurfingreat Fri 25-Sep-15 17:09:32

Just back from Lefkas, where I have been going for years and you would never know there was a financial crisis. Most of the islands depend on tourism and as the money comes from tourists rather than the state, you will see no effect.

I have heard from friends that the refugee crisis is causing issues on the east side, but on the west side it is business as usual. Combination of the exchange rate and price drops mean Greece is also really cheap at the moment.

Go, help the Greeks and have a fab holiday in a beautiful place at the same time.

girlywhirly Sat 26-Sep-15 13:54:48

Have just come back from Kefalonia, and it is business as usual. Cash in machines, lots of businesses still accepting credit cards and debit cards. There are a few small businesses who can only accept cash, but that is because they are small and it may be their only business; they need the cash to pay upfront for supplies. It is always worth asking if they will take a card payment or would prefer cash.

We noticed that food prices were lower and the daily rental for two sunbeds and a parasol on the beach was 3 euros, two years ago it was 7.

I think next year the advice will be the same, take more cash or a pre loaded debit card to get cash from machines or use as debit card, and a credit card. We took all three. DH has a clarity credit card from Halifax, where you can limit the amount available, I have a Thomas Cook cash passport debit card which I pre-load. Neither are linked to our bank accounts if stolen, and both covered by insurance. We always have some cash as well to start us off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now