Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had experience of going through a toll booth in France without paying?

(8 Posts)
GrimbleGrog Tue 01-Sep-15 16:07:48

I don't mean charging through the barrier and speeding away!

At the end of our stay in France recently we were pleased with ourselves for having used up our small-change euros, but stupidly we hadn't kept any for the last toll. 'No problem, we'll put it on a card' we thought, but curiously neither of our debit cards would work. (This remains a puzzle, they worked everywhere before and after this event). We were instructed to sign a slip of paper, having left our name and address, and pay the fee (E3.60) within 8 days, after 8 days they will add 20 euros to the fee if it remains unpaid.

Then the fun began. No instructions on how to pay on the slip, so I emailed. I was informed I may pay by cheque, postal order or bank transfer. Details for bank transfer were supplied in an attachment. I do not have a chequebook, the post office do not do a postal order in euros and I cannot do a bank transfer by internet banking as the numbers don't work (eg the sort code given is only 5 figures, my internet banking software demands 6). Apparently I can do it by telephone banking for a fee of £8 but there is no guarantee that the euros will reach the correct destination because of the odd sort code.

Has anyone ever just stuffed one of these things in a drawer and forgotten about it? Will I really be pursued for E3.60?

AliceAlice1979 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:10:04

I know that in a UK registered car we currently can not be pursued for speeding offences accrued in France, possibly toll costs are the same?

monal Tue 01-Sep-15 17:31:22

I think toll costs are not the same because French drivers get reminder notices for Dart Charge, which is operated by a French road toll company.

OP if you pm me I will happily send them a French cheque for €3.60 (with an accompanying letter telling them their system is stupid is you like).

GrimbleGrog Mon 07-Sep-15 09:32:23

Monal, you are a lovely person and this week I shall do something lovely for someone just as you have done for me, passing it on and all that.

Thank you so very, very much - I cannot express my relief at no longer having to run away to Argentina chased by French debt collectors!

flowers cake star

addictedtosugar Mon 07-Sep-15 09:45:00

Monal your list vely. And Grimble top marks for sharing the loveliness.

starstarstarstarstarstarstarstarstarstar

addictedtosugar Mon 07-Sep-15 09:45:39

Opps, monal your lovely

Ah, how lovely Monal x

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 23-Sep-15 17:07:05

How lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now