Talk

Advanced search

Where to go?

(10 Posts)
Donthackmenow Wed 12-Aug-15 22:43:00

So dh has said that we should splash out on a holiday next year and I want to get it booked before he changes his mind!
There are 4 of us, dd will be 6 and ds will be 3. Dh is a little risk averse so wants to avoid places which are an obvious risk (for him this includes Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia). He is also concerned about Greece but should they be ok now that they have been lent more money?
We don't have any other requirements, dd would like to try snorkelling if possible (but might have forgotten this by next year), dh is coeliac so it makes AI tricky. I don't even know what our budget should be (£4000?). Any ideas of where we should go?

Coconutty Wed 12-Aug-15 22:44:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Donthackmenow Wed 12-Aug-15 23:12:28

We used to like long walks,kayaking and city breaks but these days they tend to be pretty child focused!
We are national trust and English heritage members and the children are normally happy to tear around the grounds and complete the trail provided. Abroad is a bit tricky because neither of us are confident about driving on the 'wrong side'. We have been abroad twice since having children- once to menorca where we stayed in an AI hotel- our dd was too young for the kids club so it wasn't very relaxing and we got a but bored of being in the hotel and dh couldn't find much to eat. The 2nd time we went to France with both sets of grandparents and we vowed never again!!! It was nice in many ways and I had a go at driving but our parents are so intense and competitive they drove us mad smile.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 14-Aug-15 14:34:52

We have just come back from Corfu and it was lovely, no money problems out there at all, everything was readily available and very cheap.

specialsubject Fri 14-Aug-15 17:41:41

if you are risk averse you need to get out of the UK - look at the FCO site... Tunisia is no-go at the moment but the holiday areas in the others are a LONG way from the no-go zones.

Greece will be fine. And even better if you avoid AI.

what do you like to do and see, children permitting.

tunnockt3acake Fri 14-Aug-15 23:21:37

beaches & places to visit

Cornwall

Isle of Arran

Isle of Wight

Wales

Suffolk

Scotland

Ireland

mrsmortis Mon 17-Aug-15 14:46:33

How about one of the KinderHotels in Austria/Switzerland? no snorkeling but plenty of walking/kayaking/etc. And best of all the price includes childcare so you can have some time off too.

AnneOfSleeves Mon 17-Aug-15 14:48:00

Cyprus?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 17-Aug-15 14:51:00

How about the algarve? I live in Carvoeiro,it's of self catering apartments and villas, and if you book in the right developments, you don't need a car and can just get a transfer from Faro (about 45 minutes away)

Lots of restaurants, beach, shops and bars, and the local supermarket has gluten free foodstuffs

I'm happy to help with suitable locations of properties?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 17-Aug-15 14:53:20

By the way, my mother in law is coeliac and never had any problem in restaurants - lots of grilled meat/fish options with potatoes and vegetables

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now