Talk

Advanced search

Corfu...anyone been or going?

(14 Posts)
lovinbeingmum Tue 11-Aug-15 21:27:12

We are leaving for Corfu in a weeks time but for some reason I'm feeling more worried than excited. All these pictures of migrants, stolen passports, muggings. And then recently a friend remarked 'Corfu, oh dear, that's the worst! Hope you are not planning on leaving the hotel' :/ please someone tell me it's all media hype

mimiasovitch Wed 12-Aug-15 17:20:40

Jeez I hope not. I'm going on Monday!

nannyafrica Wed 12-Aug-15 20:25:42

Just got back and loved it.
Did not see one migrant, money in ATM's, great food in our local restaurant and when we went to the local shop to buy the best fresh bread in the world and bits for lunch on our balcony the lovely old lady and man that owned the shop would say "oh that's free" and put extra things in the bag.
We took local buses all over the island
The only thing was it was toooo hot!!! mid 30's at 9am.
We are thinking f going back for 6 months!!

lovinbeingmum Wed 12-Aug-15 20:57:27

nanny thank you so much for the feedback!! Have heard so much about the beaches...was in total depression that we won't be able to venture out of the hotel and check them out. Yippee! Excitement returns smile

...tho' now perhaps the temperature will put a rein on amount of time at the beach....

mimienjoy! We leave a week after smile

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 12-Aug-15 21:00:03

Corfu???

Is she confusing it with somewhere else? It's lovely!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 12-Aug-15 21:01:25

The migrants are on Kos (near a Turkey)

Corfu is on the opposite side of Greece (near Italy)

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 12-Aug-15 21:03:13

Not a Turkey

Sodding autocorrect

Anyway we had a week in Kassiopi (NE coast) in June & it was wonderful. Lovely people. No problems. Going again next year smile

nannyafrica Wed 12-Aug-15 21:34:25

Not sure what the weather is doing at the mo. think there were some thunderstorms this week. We also did a day trip to Albania to see the Roman ruins it was a long day but we enjoyed it. We also had two days wondering around the old town seeing the forts and went to the Living Museum which was small but interesting. If you are in the old town for the day take your swimmers as there is a lovely little place to swimming behind the big Building the British build, lots of locals swimming there to cool off from the heat.

Malamutes Wed 12-Aug-15 21:35:51

Just returned from Corfu, we all had a fabulous time. The loveliest people, never felt the slightest concern over safety. We were once asked if we had a spare cigarette, we don't smoke, but that was it! I live in Brighton and get asked for spare change every day! Have a great holiday.

mimiasovitch Wed 12-Aug-15 21:43:05

I also checked the trip advisor forums. All seems to be fine, money in the cash points, places taking cards etc, so all sounds fine. I have high hopes!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 13-Aug-15 14:01:28

We have just come back from Corfu. Everything is fine. No migrants, lovely food, great weather, apart from a couple of thunder storms, cash points are full.

We loved it there and didn't want to come home smile

lovinbeingmum Thu 13-Aug-15 18:43:14

Loving all the feedback!! So glad I posted here! Thank you all flowers

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 14-Aug-15 14:33:10

Which part of Corfu are you going to?

lovinbeingmum Fri 14-Aug-15 19:27:01

sootica stroggili.....somewhere southwards....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now