Talk

Advanced search

To hire or not to hire a car in majorca

(19 Posts)
Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:27:51

We, 2 adults and 2 dc under 4, are going to majorca in a month and can't decide whether to hire a car or not. We have transfers included with package, but are not a pool/beach type of traveller and like to explore... We were thinking we could use taxis or <shudder> go on an excursion, but is this a false economy? We've got a Boostapak thing for ds and will take a car seat for dd.

Only1scoop Fri 07-Aug-15 22:30:24

Are you staying in the north? We always hire a car when we stay up there.

Just be careful we were stung once with a rental company who charged you for a full tank of fuel on collection....was in the small print apparently.

I personally would go for a car so you can explore and have a bit more freedom.

whiteagle Fri 07-Aug-15 22:34:55

You may find it too hot to explore. We tend to beach and pool in Mallorca - dragging hot moaning and hot children around is not my idea of a fun holiday!

We too weren't pool and beach kind of people and would always travel with our lonely planet book but have since discovered that to do the former can still be a good holiday! If it were me i would use the transfers and see how i got on - hiring a car in the resort for a few days if i decided i wanted to explore.

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:36:09

Staying in the east, cala bona near cala Millor. I want to go to soller and palma definitely, and possibly nice secluded beaches. Hmm, car hire is looking like best way. It's just frustrating as our transfers were included and couldn't be deducted. We were thinking if we need to get a car we could do it while we're there, but I think it'll be the same price to book now for longer.

What company did you use and I'll avoid! Thanks

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:38:46

That's exactly what we were thinking white as we went to Malta and couple years ago and it was way too hot for exploring we never learn

It's more that dd hates sand and ds hates water! But both seem to be improving on those fronts so maybe we'll do the pool holiday thing.

AlpacaLypse Fri 07-Aug-15 22:39:49

We've always gone for car all the way through, but if you're there for a week it may be better value to just hire a car for the planned days out.

We're going to Menorca on Monday, using Vall cars, will report on the experience Tuesday week onwards... I use the same name on TripAdvisor as here!

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:01:59

Thanks alpaca ! We're going for 11 nights... still torn!

Have a lovely holiday smile

AlpacaLypse Fri 07-Aug-15 23:50:46

smile and you too Misty!

lovingmatleave Sat 08-Aug-15 22:01:30

This years holiday was the first without a car for year and i really felt stuck. WE were not far from you but bus to palma would have been about an hour and at least in a car you can stop wherever you feel like. also the local bus we took to get what must have been a 30 minute walk max, but which we weren't walking due to the heat, was 30mins late past the published timetable and waiting in the heat that was no fun. Make sure you get one that is fully air con.

WorktoLive Sun 09-Aug-15 09:08:48

You could hire a car for part of the week - google to see if there is a provider in your resort. Also check if it's cheaper over the weekend or for 3 or more days. We once hired a car in Tenerife for 3 days and it was cheaper to hire for 3 days than 2 or something daft.

Assuming you are doing the soller and palma trips on different days, and maybe you could go to the far north end too - Formentor lighthouse is nice to see but get there early as it gets very busy - you could also spend a day in Mumsnet favourite Puerto Pollensa too.

YY to watching out for the full tank of fuel scam - it's hard to avoid though unless you hire for 3 days or less. Last time we stayed in the south, but we had a trip to Soller, a trip to Formentor/Pollensa and a trip to the east coast and the fuel light came on just before we arrived back at the airport - were on full empty and got a little bit of satisfaction from buying all the fuel we had been obliged to buy - this was with Centauro.

Misty9 Sun 09-Aug-15 22:47:21

Thanks for the tips work , the lighthouse sounds good. Where on the east coast did you visit? We're staying around there. I think our hotel chain does car hire, so we could hire one while we're there it sounds like. Still torn! Will review the guidebook and see if we want to do much more exploring.

nancy75 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:01:30

we go to Mallorca every year (we have a house there) always hire a car. If you are going in September there is a chance that you won't have beach weather everyday and might want to explore.
The company I have used for about the last 5 years are called Vanrell - they have always been very good, cars are always clean and in good working order and the price is not too bad. Our house is in Pollensa - I don;t know if the car place have an office where you are going but it is worth checking

As for places to go Valldemossa is beautiful, Pollensa & Puerto Pollensa are nice. Soller is a good day out but the driving can be hairy if you go up the mountain. Formentor is pretty but there isn't much there so not really worth the drive.

WorktoLive Mon 10-Aug-15 06:38:08

This website is useful for finding about beaches. If we go back we will definitely go to the Mondrago national park beaches.

On the east coast we went here which was lovely but the beach bar is £££s so take a picnic.

I love Mallorca and need to go back. I suppose it's like all the other popular holiday destinations - it's astonishing how different it is if you go someone other than the big party resorts - Magaluf has just been on the news about too many people getting too drunk - they were all on our flight last time we went, but we didn't see any of that while we were there.

rookiemere Mon 10-Aug-15 17:20:29

Have you checked how much car hire costs?

You might find it's pretty inexpensive - we're hiring one in Tenerife for less than £100 for a week. Worth doing your research now so you can make an informed decision. Also if you hire from the airport, you can avoid transferbushell.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 10-Aug-15 17:23:50

Hire a car for a week. Get the train to Soller but drive to the Station at ?? (Can't remember the name but it is in the middle of the island). The monastery at Lluc is worth a visit as well. And Pollensa.

Oh, I want to go to Mallorca now.....

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 10-Aug-15 17:26:22

Bunyola

Misty9 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:33:12

Ooh, thank you exit , train to soller sounds perfect. They should produce mumsnet guidebooks!

So, I think we're going to hire a car when we get there if we feel the need. Our transfers are paid for anyway, and to get a decent price for car hire we'd have to go off-airport, too stressful with the kids! Also, we'd need a bigger car purely to transport our luggage, so can save money on hiring a more compact one mid stay. Our hotel chain, protur, do car hire which is pretty well reviewed, so we'll go for that probably.

Three weeks tomorrow!!

lostinikea Mon 10-Aug-15 22:36:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kent1982 Thu 13-Aug-15 10:39:23

I love having a car just to go to beaches that you find etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now