Talk

Advanced search

Car friendly kids food recommendations....

(8 Posts)
Thevirginmummy1 Fri 07-Aug-15 21:04:52

We've got a six hour car journey coming up with a travel sick three year old and a permanently hungry eleven month old. I'm after tips for what to feed them that they can eat in their car seats without getting too messy/crumbs everywhere. Thank you!

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:14:43

We're in the same boat and, though I wouldn't normally go near them for salt content, the lunchable ham and cheese stack things are good for handing behind you with minimum fuss. Babybel cheeses, sultanas, flapjack (doesn't crumble so much as disintegrate into large chunks!) Brioche rolls, dried cereals.

Mostly though, I would lower your standards re cleanliness (and I hate mess) stick a muslin under the baby and clean them up afterwards smile

BikeRunSki Fri 07-Aug-15 22:20:01

BAbybels!! But get rid of the wax ASAP, otherwise it melts into the upholstery. Mini Cheddars aren't too bad. Yo yo Winders or whatever they are called.

Misty9 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:22:00

My one year old ATE the wax when I gave her one to keep her quiet on a supermarket trip grin

Dismalfuckers Fri 07-Aug-15 22:25:51

You can get little cheese stick things- safer then the wax in the seats/carpets.

Cold pizza slices, mini sausages, real or veggie. Tiny sandwiches (no grated cheese though!)

Give them nothing with individual wrappers as they inevitably end up in seat pockets- yuk!

Smartiepants79 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:29:15

Cheddars, dried fruit. Cheerios. Bread sticks. Cheese strings. Rich tea biscuits.

CMOTDibbler Fri 07-Aug-15 22:35:48

A mixture of different cereals (shreddies, mini shredded wheat, cheerios) with different dried fruit (raisins, dates cut in quarters, dried apricots, apple, craisins) in a ziploc bag. Takes ages to eat and is interesting to pick through.

Salt n shake crisps with the salt packet removed are great.

Thevirginmummy1 Sat 08-Aug-15 12:35:44

Thanks everyone! We might also not have to 're-mortgage in order to eat at a service station. Love the cold sausages idea, not sure why so didn't think of it! Might make my own version of the dairy lunchable's. Gave them to my DC's once in an emergency and the then nine months old just looked at them in disgust!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now