Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been on a Dreamliner plane longhaul?

(14 Posts)
ihatethecold Fri 07-Aug-15 14:18:23

Is it any better than a regular plane?
I'm thinking of paying extra to go into the premium seats to go to Mexico.
I have flown with BA and Virgin in economy longhaul before.
It was OK, I imagine the Dreamliner to have more space.

Who did you fly with on the Dreamliner?
Ive been looking at First Choice.

ihatethecold Fri 07-Aug-15 19:01:25

Anyone?

NYCHIC Fri 07-Aug-15 20:44:32

Yes flew in Club World. It's meant to make you arrive less tired as the air is cleaner. To be honest I didn't notice any difference.

atticusclaw Fri 07-Aug-15 20:49:46

It is just a plane. It has fancy coloured light effects that they put on for a bit. Other than that it is just a normal plane. Not worth getting even vaguely excited about I'm afraid.

ihatethecold Fri 07-Aug-15 22:44:38

Don't you have more seat space though?

Jedi1 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:45:35

Only of you're not in economy...

CMOTDibbler Fri 07-Aug-15 22:46:23

No more space, and I couldn't say that I felt any better

BeyondTheWall Fri 07-Aug-15 22:53:37

I didnt particularly notice any differences apart from the bigger windows (Thompson to cuba), but dh says it was quieter and more comfortable (6'2")

Neither of us noticed a real difference in jet lag. Difficult to compare as we arrived much later in the day on the dreamliner (strong head winds) than the year before

angelcake20 Sun 09-Aug-15 22:23:47

Just flown from Brisbane to Abu Dhabi on a Dreamliner with Etihad (13 hours). I thought there was more space but I'm not a regular long haul flier. The air definitely felt better; our ears all felt better and I had the best night's sleep I've ever had on an aeroplane. The big windows looked lovely but we had the only row of seats with no window! We said we'd go out of our way to travel on one again but only if was an overnight flight we needed to sleep on.

themummyonthebus Sun 09-Aug-15 22:50:15

The amount of space you get depends on how the airline fits it out. But most are going for 9 seats per row in economy which means narrower seats than pretty much any other aircraft.

If you pay for premium seats you will get more space but that would be the case with any aircraft operated by the airline you're flying with.

And some airlines only give you more legroom for the premium seats, some reduce the number of seats per row so you get more seat width too. So that might be something to think about too.

Boeing have done a good job with the marketing about noise, air pressure, air quality and so on. Unfortunately it's all marketing bollocks. There might be a placebo effect if you believe it enough, but there is nothing scientific to support all the claims.

I work on passenger comfort subjects and have done for many years BTW.

Enjoy your flight anyway smile

ihatethecold Mon 10-Aug-15 11:56:35

I did wonder if it was all marketing bollocks.
After watching the Virgin Atlantic program recently I wanted to go on one, but Virgin don't use them on the routes that we are thinking of going on.

dementedpixie Mon 10-Aug-15 12:01:23

The economy seats did seem to have more legroom than other flights we have been on. They had tv screens in the seatbacks so good for watching movies (I used my own headphones). We thought about upgrading to premium seats but at an extra £900 we decided against it.

TheCraicDealer Mon 10-Aug-15 12:10:34

We were on one in April 2014, Thomson to Dominican Republic. We got bumped up to Premium Economy on the way out because a family with a three year old arrived really late and hadn't prebooked their seats, so they needed ours to make sure they were together. Hurrah!

In Premium the only real difference as a short arse was there was a recliner seat and we got bubbly on arrival; the additional leg room wasn't that noticeable to me. On the way back in economy the only difference between the Dreamliner and a normal plane was that it was obviously nice and new and there weren't any crumbs between the seats. The lighting was nice but it didn't make me feel more refreshed on arrival, and I didn't note anything with the air. DP wanted to be impressed but admitted it wasn't anything but special.

In essence, I wouldn't pay the premium for it or pick a flight based on the fact it's a Dreamliner.

ihatethecold Mon 10-Aug-15 13:38:08

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now