Talk

Advanced search

How do you fit all your luggage and pushchair etc in a hire car?

(30 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Thu 06-Aug-15 20:28:44

We're off to the algarve in 5 weeks- 4 adults and 18mo DD. I'm getting concerned as to how we're going to fit luggage for 4 adults and DD, travel cot and pushchair in our hire car. They can't guarantee us an estate and we have a mclaren techno xt which is quite bulky. How do you manage to fit everything in?

Tips please!

Millymollymama Thu 06-Aug-15 22:45:48

Make sure you get a big saloon if no estate available. Upgrade if necessary. Hire a roof box. Take less luggage.

Girlwithnotattoos Thu 06-Aug-15 22:48:58

Why take a cot? Surely the hotel or apartment should have one? You'll need a big car 4 adults and a child seat won't split into a standard 5 seat focus/golf you just can't squeeze all the people in comfortably. Either get 2 cars or one very large car.

Joneseygirl77 Fri 07-Aug-15 07:52:30

Problem is none of the hire car companies can guarantee what car they will give you. We've booked an estate but could be a small one. Might just give them a call next week and see if I can get some confirmation on what models they have in use. We don't really want to hire 2 cars as 1 will be fine as we only using it for 1 journey per day.

Diamondsmiles Fri 07-Aug-15 07:54:18

Leave the cot at home. Borrow a lighter buggy.

JugglingChaotically Fri 07-Aug-15 08:05:15

Ask for a people carrier instead of a car?

juneau Fri 07-Aug-15 08:09:43

Get an umbrella stroller - I never took our big one on holiday. And I've also never found accommodation that doesn't provide a cot or which can't get one from somewhere.

addictedtosugar Fri 07-Aug-15 08:17:17

Pack light, soft bags, remember the space under DD's carseat.
And an ingenious idea seen on MN recently, a load of bin Laden's ners, and unpack the soft bags, and put clothes into bin liners, which will allow you to pack into all nooks and crannies.

Could 2 of the adults use public transport or a taxi to transfer to the holiday base, rather than use the hire car? That would give half the back seat for luggage as well.

Diamondsmiles Fri 07-Aug-15 14:15:53

Bin Laden's need grin

Diamondsmiles Fri 07-Aug-15 14:16:03

Er ners!

Hulababy Fri 07-Aug-15 14:22:45

Not the best car re driving capabilities but fantastic for luggage and passenger space - berlingo or kangoo. 5 proper seats (though might still be a squeeze with a car seat) and a big boot.
Or two cars- one 5 seater and one tiny car.

Artandco Fri 07-Aug-15 14:23:33

Leave pram at home, take sling. 18 month old will be walking 1/2 the time anyway surely, and you have car for long distances.

Leave travel cot , hire one or let 18 month old sleep on mattress on floor, she's not exactly a tiny baby so will be fine. Or let her sleep in middle of you on main bed

You will need a large car though if adults aren't small as it's hard to fit x2 adults plus a car seat in a small car as not 3 full seats

Take little luggage. Medium hold-all will fit on floor by child's feet, a suitcase won't, so avoid suitcases as main luggage

Muckymoo71 Sat 08-Aug-15 10:02:01

It's only going to be a hassle getting from the airport to resort. If resort is less than make 2 trips to the airport or get a taxi and spread the load. There's no point hiring 2 cars for the holiday duration.

Muckymoo71 Sat 08-Aug-15 10:02:40

Less than an hours travel, brain working faster than fingers.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 08-Aug-15 10:06:08

We brought the cheapest argos buggy £15 ... 10 years ago ... or ask if there are ones to hire.

LIZS Sat 08-Aug-15 10:07:12

Train /bus for 2 adults?

Millymollymama Sun 09-Aug-15 22:58:33

They usually give examples of the cars in each price category. Often you can go up a category or two to get a bigger car, even when you arrive at the hire car desk. Some of the cars mentioned above have pretty small boots. A small people carrier is almost useless. Try and get a Mondeo estate or similar proper family vehicle. I would not want 5 up and luggage for a holiday in a Berlingo. The thought would terrify me!

Chchchchanging Sun 09-Aug-15 23:00:37

Book jeep type instead
Whilst they can't guarantee they're not meant to downgrade ie reduce size
We booked a jeep in USA for that reason... And they didn't have one but we ended up with a huuuuuge pimp Land Rover tank thing which got the baby gear and several relatives in

Joneseygirl77 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:07:12

Thanks all. The only reason I want to take the pushchair is for naps as she will fall asleep in it. Plus if we decide to go out at night then she could sleep in it whilst we eat.Our car is in a C5 category so quite a big saloon. Definitely going to take a soft bag instead of one case as that will squash down.
I've got another thread going about small when folded buggies so please let me have recommendations! We've got a MacLaren techno which is fab but v bulky when folded.

glorious Mon 10-Aug-15 08:21:07

I have a babyzen yoyo. Teeny when folded - fits under plane seats or here it is on a train luggage rack . It is a bit basic though and expensive. Pushes well and reclines a fair bit.

Joneseygirl77 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:04:15

I really like those and the baby jogger city zip but I can't find any secondhand. I'm really reluctant to buy one new as they are pricey.

mrsmortis Mon 10-Aug-15 12:25:17

Another thing that can make a difference is that you can choose to leave the parcel shelf behind if it is a removable one. Just make sure that they note it down on the hire paperwork. We did this on Guernsey and it made all the difference.

JugglingChaotically Mon 10-Aug-15 17:20:23

We had busy baby travel cot and zapp buggy if that helps.

glorious Mon 10-Aug-15 17:31:56

Yes they are. You could buy new and resell if cash flow isn't a problem. I was going to do that though and kept it instead, so it is risky!

glorious Mon 10-Aug-15 17:35:31

Oh and travel cot we have a Phil and teds which is a bit like a tent, packs pretty small. Not sure we still need it actually so would consider selling that if you were looking for a second hand one. Like this but ours is older and less mesh. Baby born do something similar philandteds.com/uk/Products/Sleep/traveller#.VcjSnb1wbqB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now