Talk

Advanced search

15KG baggage panic!!!

(52 Posts)
freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 10:43:06

Help! Not flown for a few years, we are used to loading the car up to the max and getting on a ferry. is 15kg x4 enough for my family of 4 for one week in Spain? I bought a luggage scale and it is either faulty or I have gone way over with only a bare minimum mock up case load!! I already plan to buy shampoo etc when we get there so can't see how I can cut back. Advice please!

Laquila Thu 06-Aug-15 10:45:33

I'd have thought that would be fine for a week's summer hol. How old are your kids?

PoppyShakespeare Thu 06-Aug-15 10:45:36

what is hand luggage allowance? can you put heavier things into everyone's bags?

Heels99 Thu 06-Aug-15 10:45:37

Yes that's plenty. What have you got that is heavy? Shoes, sun cream?

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 10:48:22

Chn are 14 and 11. Have only mocked up my case so far. Put in what I consider not too much, no beach towels yet, 3 bikinis, straighteners, make up and moisturiser and it weighed 25kg! The scale is faulty right? Hand baggage allowance is 6kg each.

Tutt Thu 06-Aug-15 10:50:12

Weigh your suitcase as that maybe the problem, some weigh in excess of 10kg!

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 10:55:37

My case weighs 5kg. It'S big so am planning to combine with DH so 30kg total cos he takes MUCH less! So it can be done?

Tutt Thu 06-Aug-15 11:01:59

What is the weight allowence?
We 'share' suitcases so split all clothes etc between the amount of suitcases. I don't travel light and we always manage to take everything we all want by doing it this way.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 06-Aug-15 11:04:58

That's 60 kilos for one week which is loads.
Surely hotel will provide towels for the beach. Do your children have t-shirts you can swill out and wear again? My ds has some Nike dryfit shirts which are low maintenance.
Decant toiletries into smaller bottles - have seen these in muji.

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:05:59

tutt it's 15kg each plus 6kg hand luggage each.

Tutt Thu 06-Aug-15 11:10:09

Sort all of the families clothing etc into piles, then take a 1/4 of each pile, pack and weigh, then you can jiggle till they all weigh about the same.
Take out the 'might' wear and only take what you 100% know you need. Swim wear, swim t-shirts,shorts/day dresses 2 each and then clothes for the evening.
I completely over pack to the point that we paid ££ for extra 20kg this year for 2 of us and I can honestly say that the majority of it wasn't worn so the ££ was a complete waste of money!

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:10:14

Ok thanks it sounds like it is possible then. Am planning to bring 2 big cases and spread allowance so don't have to waste allowance on another cases weight. Not sure if beach towels provided but have lightweight ones anyway. Thanks for advice.

SheSparkles Thu 06-Aug-15 11:11:20

15kg each is LOADS.
I brought everything I wanted to. Including huge bottles of conditioner and after sun and came in under 14kg. I think your scales may be dodgy. You'll either need to take or buy beach towels when you're there, very few hotels wtc supply them-or if they do, they're for pool use only,Not the beach.
Hope you have a great holiday

Theas18 Thu 06-Aug-15 11:13:21

Blimey that's loads!

We now go hand baggage only which is 10kg all in and buy toiletries etc over there.

Not sure what you are packing if a week in spain. 1 pair shoes on feet, sandals in bag. Long trousers on, 3 shorts, 1 dress , 4 t shirts, swimwear, pants and nightie ( 1 hoodie to be worn, 1 smarter light cardie in bag, and wear jacket/umbrella in hand bag). I do 2 dab through" as my mum would say a t shirt or 2, but that's about it.

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:17:01

We had 20kg x 4 allowance for a 2 week holiday and took less than our full allowance. We have very light cases though so the weight was mainly due to the contents. We took loads of suncream and toiletries with us too. 15kg x 4 is loads for 1 week.

We used 4 suitcases for ours as no 1 case could weigh over 23kg

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:20:55

Wow you girls are light packers! But you're right, I never wear it all. Am only bringing sandals and flip flops and sandals will be on my feet! Got 3 pieces of swimwear, 1 sarong, 1 kaftan,2 pairs shorts, 4 vests, 2 beach dresses, 3 long skirts, 2 dresses for eve, 2 tops, 2 bras,7 pants, 1 belt, 1 hat(will carry) some light jewellery, straighteners(a must), make-up and moisturiser and sun cream. Does that sound ok?

PoppyShakespeare Thu 06-Aug-15 11:21:23

isn't it usually best to buy whatever is the most popular sun cream from where you'll be, or is this some mad superstition from olden times?

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:22:31

I take way more than that but I take lots of stuff 'just in case'

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:23:22

No I take the cheapest but best suncream from the UK as you don't know what will be on offer when you get there

Twolefttoes Thu 06-Aug-15 11:23:22

15kg is plenty don't worry. Don't want to sound patronising but just check your scales, we had a huge panic about weights just last month, empty case weighed more than our allowance etc. Until I realised I was reading it in lbs not kgs blush.

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 11:25:23

Careful with sharing a case, sometimes when airlines say 4 x 15kg, that's exactly what they mean and they would consider 2 x 30kg as over limit.

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:25:25

poppy have never heard of that and the last time i did buy 'sun cream' abroad it was lemon sun oil factor 2!!! Oh yes I was a foolish girl back in the day but boy did I get a good tan! these days it's factor 40!

dementedpixie Thu 06-Aug-15 11:27:54

Our airline didn't take cases over 23kg so you may need another case rather than only taking 2.

freesiasaresweet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:28:24

further [embarrassed] you know what i'm going to say.......

specialsubject Thu 06-Aug-15 11:28:28

60kg is enough to emigrate.

check scales.
check weight of empty case.
take less!

and remember that really heavy cases get more abuse from baggage handlers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now