Talk

Advanced search

Hitting Rome for 48 hours with the DCs - what are the must sees?

(13 Posts)
atticusclaw Wed 05-Aug-15 10:19:36

Das are 10 and 8. We already have a tour of the colosseum/forum which takes up three quarters of the first day. Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps are on the list. With limited time (and attention spans) what would you recommend we do/don't bother with?

hillyhilly Wed 05-Aug-15 12:23:26

We're heading there next Feb with kids of exactly the same ages, we've not really planned it yet, though the Colosseum is a must. If you look at Tripadvisor there are apparently walking routes suggested on there, we thought we'd try an open top bus to cover a lot of ground, and generally wander. I've discovered there is an Ice Bar which sounds fun though it has absolutely no cultural or historical relevance!!!

atticusclaw Wed 05-Aug-15 13:47:52

I thought the same about the open top buses but they get appalling reviews and so I'm thinking we will probably to ditch that idea now.

So far the definite are

colosseum/forum (we've booked a private tour with full access to gladiator pits and restricted areas and so the DCs are very excited)
trevi fountain
pantheon
spanish steps

toying with the Vatican but think it might be a bit much for DS2, particularly in the heat.

I've downloaded the Rick Steves free app which is supposed to be a good audio guide and saves lugging guide books along with us.

12purpleapples Wed 05-Aug-15 13:58:28

The Trevi fountain is out of action at present.
Piazza Navona is good for an evening of eating out and people watching.
I would say St Peters Basilica is essential, and if you get there early in the morning the queues are OK.
Capatoline Museums and Vatican museum are both good also, though maybe limited interest for a child. If you go to the Vatican museums definitely pre-book a ticket (you can book them in the foyer of St Peters) as you don't want to queue in that heat.

atticusclaw Wed 05-Aug-15 15:17:55

Oh I'm glad I found out about that. We might not bother with the trevi fountain if its mainly scaffolding!

LIZS Wed 05-Aug-15 15:19:59

And rats <boak>

TobikkoRoll Wed 05-Aug-15 15:26:16

When are you going OP? We're currently in Rome (grin) and it's not the heat but the incredible crowds that's putting us off. Went to St Peter's this morning and the line was huge, didn't bother to queue to go in. Not bothered by the Vatican museum either, but by all means pre-book if you're going to go.

Huge crowds at the Pantheon and Spanish Steps also. The Capitolini museum was cool and quiet though.

DH and I have been here previously and done all the sights, just trying to narrow it down for our kids. We've pre-booked for the Colosseum too.

zazas Wed 05-Aug-15 22:23:10

We were in Rome last summer with our 7 year old and her older siblings and we went to the Cemetery of the Capuchins (near the Spanish Steps) which the kids loved! It contains the skeletal remains of over 3,000 Capuchin friars in a display that is not meant to be macabre, but a reminder of the quick passage of life on Earth! The kids were amazed and surprised how artistic one could be with bones?!

A private tour of the Colosseum is a must - highlight for us but full on in the heat! They all loved wandering the heart of Rom - the Pantheon, the elephant sculpture on Bernini’s obelisk, Sant’Lgnazio church, Piazza Navona, Campo de’Fiori etc etc and visiting Largo di Torre Argentine - the Cat Sanctuary. All made sweeter by ice cream!

We loved the Vatican and St Peter's but don't consider the Vatican without an advanced ticket - the cue was two hours long!

Finally we had the most fun in Villa Borghese Park where we rented a large pedal bike thing for the six of us and raced around the gardens for an hour.

Enjoy!

cariadlet Fri 07-Aug-15 07:49:48

When are you going? We went to Rome a few years ago and dd loved Explora, the Children's Museum, but it's closed for maintenance 10-15th August.

badgerknowsbest Fri 07-Aug-15 07:58:50

Yes a trip to the Capuchin Crypt is well worth a look and surprisingly when we went I couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to most of the other 'tourist attractions'.

tribpot Fri 07-Aug-15 08:01:30

Yep, definitely don't bother with the Trevi, there's nothing really to see. The Pantheon is a must see, though. (And the Trevi is near to it, so you can always stroll past to see what you can see of it)

I was in Rome the week before last and the heat was horrendous. The Pantheon had no queue if you got down there when it opens at 8:30, by the time we started walking back to our hotel at about 10 everywhere was heaving. It should be quieter in August though.

We also went to the Time Elevator - definitely not worth it unless you are knackered and want somewhere where you can sit down for half an hour with air conditioning. The English language show is at half past the hour.

MyTravelove Fri 07-Aug-15 13:00:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

atticusclaw Fri 07-Aug-15 20:56:04

We are here now (dying in the heat and a beautiful suite right next to the colosseum with very bad aircon). We did a private all areas tour of the colosseum and forum today. Got the metro up to the Spanish steps (DCs mightily underwhelmed "its steps?") walked back past the trevi fountain but definitely not worth the effort with no water and clear plastic walls all around.

We are getting up early tomorrow to do the Pantheon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now