Talk

Advanced search

4-5* Apartmenthotel Atlantic coast Spain or Portugal

(7 Posts)
noramum Mon 03-Aug-15 22:07:16

We already start planning out Summer 2016 holiday and look for a self-catering option with all the advantages of a hotel resort. Can anybody help?

I am not the best with heat so we want to avoid the Med, DH and I went to the Costa de la Luz years ago and enjoyed it.

DD will be 9 next Summer and we really love self-catering but with DD being a single child we also know she needs some kind of company. We went to an AI resort this Easter and she thoroughly enjoyed it but we didn't like the restrains of restaurants so would like to go self catering again.

So I hope somebody come across one of these resorts.

Hoppinggreen Tue 04-Aug-15 05:00:47

We own a property on the Costa de la Luz, in fact we are currently here!!
If you dont like the heat of the med I don't know why you would like it here it's between 30 and 35 most days and has occasionally been know to approach 40 in August!!
I don't know of any AI resorts in this area at all, the resorts are mainly Spanish and they don't seem to do AI really so I can't help with that but if I can provide any info on the area generally please feel free to ask.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 04-Aug-15 07:19:14

I live in Carvoeiro on the Algarve, the sea is the Atlantic, but so far this summer we've had temps touching 40, so it's not necessarily cooler!

However, as a resort, I think Carvoeiro might be worth investigating. It's quite a small resort but enough going on, lots of restaurants, and lots of self catering apartments with communal pools where your daughter can meet other children

mrsdavidbowie Tue 04-Aug-15 07:22:08

I was going to say Carvoeiro!
We've been to Rocha Brava there many times, usually book privately through Owners Direct. Casa Diana is lovely and there is one with a private pool which is amazing
There are 3 communal pools and fab beaches.

stinkingbishop Tue 04-Aug-15 07:26:06

Martinhal. At Finisterra on very tip of Portugal so gets the breezes. Stunning resort. Beautiful villas (get a Garden one, they're the cheapest but quietest, and quietest pool too). Supermarket nearby so you can self cater and then restos if you need a break, plus great kids' club, creche, babysitting, 4 pools etc etc.

Not cheap by any stretch but there's a MN discount and you can haggle like we did for 10% off smile.

noramum Tue 04-Aug-15 13:11:32

Thanks for your help.

I found the Atlantic coast a lot easier to deal with then the Med. More wind, cooler water, less humid, (at least this is how I remember it).

Thanks for the suggestions, we have a look.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 04-Aug-15 14:09:39

There is often a breeze here, and it's possibly a less humid heat - if you are interested in Carvoeiro there's a thread on here under 'Shorthaul' all about Carvoeiro, with recommendations from me, and other mnetters who visit or are here at the moment - might give you some ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now