Talk

Advanced search

Maldives for a week in Sept/Oct ?

(11 Posts)
Urbanvoltaire Mon 03-Aug-15 18:34:19

My ILs are kindly looking after DCs for a week in Sept/Oct, so OH and I are planning a week long break to somewhere beachy, hot and exotic. He's got his heart set on the Maldives, is it worth going for just a week? Any other destination ideas I should consider?

TIA folks ;-)

Hersetta427 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:02:43

I definitely would. Your 7 days don't start until you arrive so you get the full week in resort.

If you want recommendations I would say reethi beach, thudufushi, veligandoo, lily beach.

LilRedWG Tue 04-Aug-15 22:05:18

Definitely Lily Beach. Not Meeru.

Hersetta427 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:12:33

Lily beach is our favourite. We have been 5 times. Get treated like family.

Delurked Tue 04-Aug-15 22:16:29

If you have a healthy budget have a look at Soneva Fushi. DH and I went pre-kids and it was absolutely incredible. And yes, I would say it is worth the trip for a week - if you are leaving the kids behind then you won't have to spend the first two days recovering from the trauma of a long haul flight with children!

ICantDecideOnAUsername Tue 04-Aug-15 22:17:56

We went to Meeru for our honeymoon. Admittedly it was 10 years ago so it could have gone downhill in that time but we thought it was amazing. Best holiday ever. Amazing. But very glad we went for two weeks. One week would just not have been long enough. I could have stayed for months (and apparently some people do!)

Lucky you. I'd love to go back. Do you think you ILs could look after another one? grin

Hersetta427 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:19:57

Our longest stay was 17 days....wasn't bored for a single second.

Trickydecision Wed 05-Aug-15 14:11:41

I agree with Hersetta that Reethi Beach or Thudu would be good choices. Reethi should be cheaper. I am not sure about going for a week, as the flights are so long and, I believe, no direct flights in Sept/Oct. on the other hand, some of our friends have been twice for a week.

I would agree with 'not Meeru' nor Kuredu. Prices of different islands vary a lot, all have their pros and cons. Try studying the Trip Advisor Maldives Forum. Anf revuews.

As far as other destinations are concerned, Mauritius is absolutely lovely, actually further away than the Maldives but direct flights should be available so not too bad. We loved the Maritim there.

Trickydecision Wed 05-Aug-15 14:13:30

Anf revuews = and reviews

jules120b Sun 16-Aug-15 14:48:40

Loved Lilybeach One of top destinations visited still today. Would like t return!

Millymollymama Sun 16-Aug-15 17:22:02

BA do direct flights in October to the Maldives. Not sure about availability though. I would choose somewhere like the BVI over The Maldives though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now