Talk

Advanced search

Allowed on a flight

(14 Posts)
TheHammaconda Sat 01-Aug-15 16:08:59

Just a quickie. Am flying short haul on my own with two DCs (4.5 and 2). I've bought some plasticine for them to play with in the departure lounge. Will this be allowed through security?

Also, is food (non-liquid) OK to take in hand baggage? Again, to be eaten before we leave not on the flight.

TIA

specialsubject Sat 01-Aug-15 16:41:58

it is not liquids, but liquids, gels and pastes.

plasticine....looks like plastic explosive. So probably at the discretion of the security screener.

food that is solid will be fine. Take an empty water bottle through security and fill it at a tap before boarding. You can buy anything you want after security but prices are obviously hiked.

Etak15 Sat 01-Aug-15 16:47:19

If the water/juice for kids is in a kids cup/drink bottle you can take it they'll just make you taste it, not sure about the plasticine but I can imagine my kids would make a mess with it and drop it everywhere - how about poundland activity books or let them choose a kids magazine at airport. Water in whsmiths boots etc at airport are usually not too bad like two 750 ml bottles for £2 or something offers.
Any food is fine through security or on the plain

Etak15 Sat 01-Aug-15 16:47:31

Plane!

PotteringAlong Sat 01-Aug-15 16:49:00

I can't imagine for a minute that plasticine will get through as it looks exactly like explosives!

SoupDragon Sat 01-Aug-15 16:50:55

Plasticine wouldn't be top of my list of things to take to amuse a child on a flight. It can easily get trodden into carpets and squished into soft furnishings. No idea if it would get through security. Sticker/activity/colouring books are a better bet.

TheHammaconda Sat 01-Aug-15 16:52:20

The plastic explosive thing occured to me this morning Special Subject! If I have to chuck it at security then so be it.

I'm taking empty water bottles to fill airside and have sticker books but they love plasticine. We live in Brussels and are flying from BXL so sadly no Boots or WH Smith.

Thanks for your replies

specialsubject Sat 01-Aug-15 19:25:49

I got intrigued and did some more googling - no real answer on plasticine. But I can rather see why it would make security people nervous.

I note that 'sharps' regulations do seem to have been relaxed, you can take eyebrow tweezers, knitting needles etc.

FoxtrotOscarBackToEconomy Sat 01-Aug-15 23:10:58

With something like plasticine, take it out of your bag to go through the X-Ray machine separately. The security staff have been grateful when I've done that with packs of marzipan and fondant icing which have a similar consistency to plasticine.

scrappydappydoo Sat 01-Aug-15 23:15:49

I have taken plasticine on loads of flights with no problems. That's not to say you won't though.. I would keep it accessible and be prepared to let it go if challenged.

didyouwritethe Sat 01-Aug-15 23:21:19

Does gel eye-liner and also lipstick have to go in the clear plastic bag, please?

I love plasticine. <<irrelevant>>

specialsubject Sun 02-Aug-15 10:48:39

seems to depend on the airport, but Heathrow certainly says all cosmetics are included in the rules.

if you've got hold luggage, put the slap in there to be on the safe side. It's of no value and won't get nicked.

TheHammaconda Mon 03-Aug-15 17:53:31

Plasticine made it through security at Brussels. They showed no interest in it whatsoever! Thanks for the help everyone

PotteringAlong Mon 03-Aug-15 18:38:06

Good to know! Hope it was all ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now