Talk

Advanced search

French Toll Roads.

(4 Posts)
Pipbin Fri 31-Jul-15 08:40:59

I'm driving from the airport to our rental cottage. Google maps tells me there are tolls. Can I just pay cash at the toll or is it like the Dartford Crossing where you have to pay online.

magimedi Fri 31-Jul-15 08:47:46

Cash or you can use your credit card.

When you enter the toll road you take a ticket from a machine & when you exit you put the ticked back in the machine & the display tells you what to pay.

They are called "Payage". Be careful when leaving them as 4/5 lanes (on busy motorways) often funnel down to 2 lanes.

Pipbin Fri 31-Jul-15 09:39:57

When you enter the toll road you take a ticket from a machine & when you exit you put the ticked back in the machine & the display tells you what to pay.

Like a car park then?
Do I need change? I'm likely to only have Euro notes. Or my credit card has no fee for outside the UK so maybe that will be the better bet.

magimedi Fri 31-Jul-15 10:49:09

You don't need change - card is much easier than faffing with cash, however. You don't even have to put in pin.

SO: Put in autoroute ticket.

Price comes up

Put in credit card - take it out

Press button for repeipt.

It's one of those things that sounds stressy & hard but is fine once you've done oit.

Just back from driving over 1,000 miles in France, much on autoroutes & it was fine.

Have a good trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now