Talk

Advanced search

Anyone review my plan for 8hr flight with Formula-fed baby?

(9 Posts)
plumcatt Wed 29-Jul-15 16:01:17

Afternoon all, hope this is the right place to post this!

I was wondering if some of you seasoned jetsetting mums might be able to check my plan for doing an 8 hour (to the US) flight with my nearly 6 month old dd. We have never flown together before, I'm happy as larry in the air normally as we moved about a lot when I was little, but the thought of doing it with her is daunting as hell atm!

She is exclusively formula fed and that's what's troubling me, esp as I am only taking hand luggage for 2 week trip (a 55x40x23 ultra light suitcase.) It was an ultra short notice emergency booking on a budget carrier so was hugely expensive for us both without adding checked bags! Plus, we are staying with family so wil have plenty of access to laundry facilities etc for most of it, so I'm trying to take as little as possible. Mad probably... but I have tested and can fit the below list plus plenty of clothes for her and a woefully small holiday capsule wardrobe for me. So should be OK.

We will be staying in a hotel in NY for 2 nights then the rest we will be staying at family's house. This is why I will need a kettle as IME, US hotels only have coffeemakers not kettles. I don't want to use bottled water to make up her feeds, possibly paranoid mummy, so please don't suggest that instead!

So in my hand luggage for her feeding etc I want to take:
Dual voltage UK/USA small travel kettle and US adapter
500ml thermos (empty)
Powder formula dispenser (empty)
Enough nappies for journey plus spares, will buy big packet when we get there
Pack of wipes
4 empty sterilised bottles
2 week (plus spare) supply of cold water sterilising bags

I was going to order 2x tubs of her formula powder, and 8 ready-made 240ml bottles of formula (enough for journey there plus couple of spares for the first night) - at the airside Departures Boots and pick them up after security. She will have a powder formula bottle before we go through security then on the flight I'll feed her with ready made bottles, probably also when we get to the hotel at night as we will be knackered. The next day I will start making up powder formula bottles with the kettle. I'll need to use powder formula on the way back probably, does anyone have any tips on that coming back through US security?

Does that all sound OK? Anyone know if travel kettles arent allowed in hand luggage? Anyone have any experience with picking up Boots orders airside at Gatwick?

Thankyou so much!!!

Millymollymama Thu 30-Jul-15 19:07:20

Good heavens! Just check in a bag! That sounds a nightmare. How are you going to fit the formula into your luggage for boarding? There are rules on size of extra bags over and above your suitcase. Will you not need an extra bag for the milk order?

On the flight, the stewards give you boiled water when you want it, especially on a day flight. No need for ready made up bottles. You just need the milk powder you need and a bottle. They can sterilise with boiling water if you need it. Does your hotel room have a kettle in it? Might be worth checking. The airline should have comprehensive advice on what electrical equipment can go in hand luggage.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 30-Jul-15 19:27:31

Take less clothes stuff for dd and more for you. Worse case scenario you pick up a couple of cheap packs of cute babygros.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 31-Jul-15 04:29:14

You need to check a bag, you will not at all manage with just hand luggage for two weeks. not checking a bag is making a rod for your own back.

Electrical items have to be stowed in the hold, kettles cannot be taken as hand luggage.

What airline are you using, Norwegian?.

BikeRunSki Fri 31-Jul-15 04:43:54

A few things to consider -
They sell formula in the U.S., at 6 months your dd will be starting to wean, so will be more used to different flavours and likely to be able to change formula easily.

I don't think you'll be allowed to take a kettle in hand luggage.

The mineral content of many bottled waters is fine; my HV used to recommend Evian for travelling.

Millymollymama Fri 31-Jul-15 08:36:23

As short update. Yesterday I received an email about flying arrangements with BA and part of this was clear guidance on hand luggage. A second bag is allowed. It it is restricted to lap top size, ie 40 x 30 x 15. I don't see how you could get everything you need into a bag this size. I guess you are not flying BA but low cost are not more generous - usually less so with the second bag, in my experience.

lushaliciousbob Fri 31-Jul-15 19:40:43

Wow please check in one bag! I'm flying short haul with only hand luggage and am already stressing about it all fitting (only a 4 day trip!

BikeRunSki Fri 31-Jul-15 19:56:13

Coukd you use all your luggage space for formula etc, then buy cheap clothes for you and baby when you get there? <stealth opportunity to stock up on lovely Carter's baby clothes>

Millymollymama Sat 01-Aug-15 20:01:29

Such fun shopping with a baby!!! Especially if you absolutely have to. How to get everything home or even into a bag if it is stuffed full of baby feeding gear and milk? The mind boggles. It is cheaper to have a stowed bag!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now