Talk

Advanced search

Can you help us? Ideas needed

(12 Posts)
Lilliana Mon 27-Jul-15 13:34:33

We are planning to go on holiday next year but no idea where to go. This is what we want; can you suggest anywhere?

*2 weeks during school holidays.
*Me DH and a 3 year old DD.
*DH can't sit still so needs something to do/see - not just a resort holiday.
*I'd like some down time - beach / pool maybe?
*we have taken DD long haul before so no worries with distance.
*warm.

Please help us!

Siennasun Mon 27-Jul-15 15:26:50

Well it depends on your budget and what kinds of things your DH wants to do, but we want pretty much the same thing for our family holiday.
Assuming you are going in July/August holidays, Europe generally best weather.
We've been thinking about Greece for good beaches, watersports, food (and maybe some ancient stuff)
Or somewhere in the Alps for a sporty holiday, bikes, lake swimming, ziplining, etc. may wait a few years for that though until, DS is old enough to participate a bit.
There's a lot of things to do on Lanzarote aside from beaches.
We're also considering a road trip driving down to the South of France and/or Italy. That could take more than 2 weeks though....

theconstantvacuumer Mon 27-Jul-15 15:38:52

Valencia? Plenty to see and do and there's a beach or resorts within driving distance.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 27-Jul-15 15:54:14

Lisbon - lots to see and do but stay in Cascais about half an hour away by train, big sandy beach and nice town/restaurants?

Lilliana Mon 27-Jul-15 22:28:10

Thanks for the ideas. Definitely on the right lines. Not really set a budget yet but not too crazy. DH likes surfing and anything physical really. We both dive although tricky when with DD and anything interesting / historical / fun.
We've done road trips but would rather stay in one place this time as we come home more tired than we left!

Angelto5 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:30:16

Malta?

SpecificOcean Tue 28-Jul-15 13:16:03

A cruise?
Different places to visit including beaches, historical sites etc.
Loads to do both on and off the ship.
Our DC have cruised most years since they were 6 and 8.
They are now teens and still love it (these days they make friends and go for meals and shows and hang out in the pools/Jacuzzis with them).

Lilliana Tue 28-Jul-15 15:32:32

I hadn't even thought of a cruise. Do they welcome crazy toddlers? I'd be scared she'd fall over board! Also not sure if DH would feel trapped but I have no idea about cruise ships (clearly) will have a look into it. Thanks

mary21 Tue 28-Jul-15 17:05:06

Ocean elements/Nelson type of thing?
Alps esprit sun?
Friends raved about lykia world in turkey
We had a great holiday in Kas turkey
Dahab eygpt for diving
I believe there is good surf in Spain

SpecificOcean Tue 28-Jul-15 17:34:05

All ages well catered for in every way. The Dc used to love the kids clubs/shows when younger. The cruises we have been on have only had 1 or 2 days at sea and there is lots going on especially on the bigger ships or just relax on a sun bed.

5Foot5 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:05:45

we have taken DD long haul before so no worries with distance.

How old was she then?
If she will be 3 next year she must be 2 now? So presumably she was a bit younger than that when you flew long haul with her.

Cautionary note - there is a world of difference between flying with a baby and with an active toddler. I flew single-handled to Sydney with DD when she was a one year old and it was absolutely fine. A year later we took her on a short (1 hour) flight and it was just awful. She is 19 now but we still shudder at the memory of that flight.

nmg85 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:46:00

I would also recommend a cruise. Plenty to do for everyone and different place nearly every day to explore. The staff are wonderful with kids as well as they miss their own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now