Talk

Advanced search

Weekend in Corfu?

(8 Posts)
DontFearTheSweeper Thu 23-Jul-15 22:03:31

Looking to take a friend away for a weekend - somewhere nice and warm with lovely scenery and beaches. I think I've got a weekend in mind and have seen a few places on air b&b I like but I'm hoping someone could have a look at what I've found and see if there's any issues I'm missing? I've never booked shorthaul trips before so have little idea what I'm doing.

Looking at flying afternoon 25/9, back late night 27/9, flights are around £350 together.

3 air b&b options I like:
Despinas Apartments
Corfu Town
Mirtiotissa

I don't really know what to look for or think about, or if a weekend is even viable value-wise!

Any help much appreciated. Need several wine's now; trying to decide is doing my head in!

Shakey1500 Thu 23-Jul-15 22:10:41

I wouldn't say it was good value to be honest and I'm a seasoned Corfu traveller. You'd only really have the evening of the 25th, all of the 26th and part of 27th? The top two places are nowhere near beaches either.

It's a 3 hour flight (from Man) with a good wind sooo allowing travel from home (how long?), 2 hours at airport roughly, about 45mins at Corfu Airport to get bags etc, then taxi.

Sorry, I adore Corfu but think the timescale is too short sad

Branleuse Thu 23-Jul-15 22:13:12

you dont need to go that far to get sunshine in september. It will still be warm in france and spain

DontFearTheSweeper Thu 23-Jul-15 22:33:40

It's ok Shakey, I think I needed to hear that as I tried to mash my lifelong dream of Greece with my very-limited time available. Alas, for another year perhaps!

France or Spain would be nice Branleuse; I haven't been to either (can you tell - terribly unseasoned traveler who's recently moved from the southern hemisphere) so are there any go-to places there that would be not too touristy and not too expensive?

Back to the drawing board!

hooliodancer Sun 26-Jul-15 18:17:19

I would do Corfu in your timescale, but maybe try to get an early morning flight. If you get a late flight back on the final day it would give you the best part of 3 days.

Take hand luggage only, hop off the plane and straight in a cab to wherever you are going. We go to North East Corfu and I have been swimming in the sea within just over an hour of landing!

On the way back, pay extra to book your seats in advance. Then get to the airport about an hour and 15 before the flight goes. The queue to check in has gone by then, and as you only have handcuffed you can whizz through and on to the plane. This only works with the late flight though, as the airport is not so busy.

Kaminaki is very quiet and apartments are cheaper than other places in the north east. San Stephanos is is my favourite place though. Don't stick to air b and b - look on bookings.com, many apartments will do less than a week.

An alternative would be Cavtat in Croatia. It is 10 minutes from the airport! Hotel Cavtat is lovely. With hand luggage you can be in the pool within half an hour of landing, and the flight is just over 2 hours.

hooliodancer Sun 26-Jul-15 18:18:23

Handcuffed?????? I wrote hand luggage!

iwantgin Tue 28-Jul-15 20:06:47

For a couple of days I think I would go to Spain. Or as above, Croatia.

both with interesting sights and good beaches.

The weather will be god still in September (unless you get unlucky like us - last September we were in Barcelona, and it rained 2 days out of our 4).

Corfu is lovely, but to me too long travelling time for your limited time break.

tunnockt3acake Mon 17-Aug-15 22:09:07

went to Turkey for a weekend !

7am flight saturday

flew back afternoon tuesday

made the most of the time whilst there
felt like it was a week away !
It was worth the effort

Go for Greece !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now