Talk

Advanced search

Tenerife - any must see/do you can recommend?

(17 Posts)
artylady14 Wed 22-Jul-15 15:34:13

I am off to Tenerife with my sister in a few weeks,staying in the Costa Adeje area. I have never been to Tenerife and would like recommendations for any thing we must see/do? We would like to experience some of the traditions, the food, see the best beaches. It's very much a relaxing holiday we hope for but would like to do the best trips too.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 22-Jul-15 15:47:06

We went on a medieval night which was a great night, it's in a castle and there's Knights jousting in a storyline. You get wine in a goblet and a light meal (I couldn't eat it though)
It's hard to explain!

Most of our trips have been family ones so not sure what would be suitable. Siam park is a fun waterparks, there's a lazy river for chilling out on and a man made beach with water.

The safari centre is lovely on a night with trees covered in fairy lights and a fountain light show. The restaurants around that area are lovely.

I wouldn't do Loro parque as there is a whale show which I don't agree with.

I know there is some kind of submarine trip thing that we have never done and a few boat trips available at the marina too.

Enjoy, Tenerife is lovely!

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 22-Jul-15 15:47:53

How many times have a said lovely hmmconfused

sweetheart Wed 22-Jul-15 15:59:28

We also did the medieval castle which was a great night out. There is a aqua park which has a fab dolphin show. We went to Loro parque - my only memory of there is spending hours picking tiny white needles out of dd's hands after she tried to hug a cacti plant!

artylady14 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:18:27

Thanks. I have heard of Siam Park, supposed to be very good. I am also interested in must-buys smile Any good souvenirs/shopping? I have never been to El Corte Ingles? Is it good? I believe there are good shops in Costa Adeje too. I would like to visit the capital, Santa Cruz, too if its pretty?

magicstar1 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:36:10

If you're into seafood there's a restaurant that does an amazing paella. It's called Tambo...you can find it on Tripadvisor. It's a tiny place and you need to order paella or seafood platter the day before, but it's so worth it.
This is the one we got:

artylady14 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:49:45

That is heaven on a plate to me! I love seafood! Thank you magicstar!

specialsubject Wed 22-Jul-15 19:31:40

either hire a car or get the bus up to Las Canadas National Park to see and walk near the volcano. You can even get a cable car to near the top.

Masca gorge walk:
www.tenerifeguide.eu/masca-walk/

if that's too hilly you can walk for miles along the Costa Adeje coast and there are some lovely beaches there.

trip to Los Gigantes and possible dolphin watch.

lots of wonderful inland walking.

day trip to La Gomera?

shopping and souvenirs usual waste of time/money, don't bother.

get away from the beach for Canarian restaurants. Hard to find but they are there.

enjoy!

artylady14 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:03:38

Thanks for all that info. The walk along the coast sounds nice - we can explore the beaches smile

Don't even know of La Gomera, I really dont know the Canaries at all.

Thanks again. x

iwantgin Wed 22-Jul-15 21:09:33

Will you hire a car?

If you can take a day out and drive up north there are some fab sights.

Take a bus to Puerto dela Cruz or Santa Cruz(the capital)

Go on a tour bus and do the island tour. Interesting stuff. And if you get up to Teide then do the cable car - it is worth it.

I love Tenerife.

specialsubject Wed 22-Jul-15 21:11:13

order a rough guide from the library and/or some of the walking guides. Well worth it. There's an excellent bus system on Tenerife (and it looks like the Bono-bus card has not gone up in price in the few years since I was last there!)

www.just-tenerife.com/titsa.htm

Branleuse Wed 22-Jul-15 21:12:15

costa adeje is very british touristy, so if youre staying there, you might need to go further out and hire a car to see some culture.

The north of tenerife is absolutely beautiful and worth going to. The huge volcanic rock pools round Garachico are amazing

artylady14 Wed 22-Jul-15 22:12:26

I won't be hiring a car but want to go on some trips.

Vernazza Sat 25-Jul-15 11:25:16

Definitely go up the volcano on the cable car. The views are stunning - be forewarned that the cable car does not run on windy days though, so keep an eye on the weather/wind before heading to it.

The monkey park is really charming and not far from where you are staying. Go early in the day when the monkeys are more active. You can go right in the cages with some of them and feed them (you can purchase a little container of approved food when you buy your ticket). The monkeys are sweet and gentle and will come over and touch you gently for food, pick their favourites out of the container, etc. It was a highlight for us when we went! www.tenerifeguide.eu/monkey-park/

If you head up towards Santa Cruz, the beach just east of it (Playa Teresitas) is gorgeous. www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/bestbeaches/9458519/Secret-seaside-Las-Teresitas-beach-Tenerife.html

specialsubject Sat 25-Jul-15 15:10:01

no need to hire a car with some bus planning. You can certainly do a day trip to Las Canadas on the bus.

plenty of excursions offered although check itineraries, some involve an awful lot of shopping.

artylady14 Thu 30-Jul-15 00:24:54

Thanks again. Really looking forward to it!

rookiemere Thu 30-Jul-15 15:29:46

We've been to Tenerife five times and are booked up again for this October smile. The Costa Adeje area is nice and we love the Bahia Del Duque which is very close.

We've done the volcano and the Siam Park water park - to me the lovely thing about Tenerife is that it's such a lovely place to relax. There isn't a huge amount of cultural activities to participate in and we find that the days go very quickly once we've done a few visits to the beach and a walk along the promenade. Although we might give the monkey park a go, based on the post above.

Which hotel are you staying in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now