Talk

Advanced search

Best travel sickness remedies

(6 Posts)
PurpleLilacs Wed 22-Jul-15 10:55:50

We're off on holiday this weekend - flying and then a transfer in a mini bus through some really bendy roads through the mountains.

I have an 8 year old who still suffers with bad travel sickness and is currently refusing to take the usual travel sickness tablets (Sturgeon) as she says the taste of them make her feel sick - nightmare - the logic of kids!

We've tried most of the stuff over the counter over the years and Sturgeon have been the most effective but she will have to take something, so I've been googling alternatives.

Has anyone ever used Phenergan Elixir?

Or any other suggestions for nice tasting tablets or other magical solutions?

Or any tips for teaching an 8 year old how to swallow tablets without having to chew them?!

Thank you!

yellowdinosauragain Wed 22-Jul-15 13:44:51

Sorry no helpful suggestions but was about to start my own thread because we're taking an overnight ferry with our ds who gets very travel sick in cars so I'm tagging on!

clux73 Thu 23-Jul-15 06:59:50

Phenergan is amazing stuff. Works every time for my 2 very travel sick DDs. Must be taken the night before travel and you can take another spoonful in the morning.

PurpleLilacs Thu 23-Jul-15 10:26:24

Thank you clux73 that's good to know.

I managed to track down a bottle in Boots yesterday - although it wasn't on show anywhere and the guy had never heard of it, but when I specifically asked for it he found a bottle out the back somewhere!! Might give that a go.

Had read some stuff on other forums about it making kids hyper so good to hear from someone who has used it successfully.

Have also just discovered you can buy disposable sick bags with deodorisers in them! Genius - can't believe I hadn't thought about this before. Sorry this is a really horrible thing to talk about - but after years of carrying and cleaning out tuppawear pots in motorway service stations they seem revolutionary to me! Have ordered a big batch.

sparkysparkysparky Sun 26-Jul-15 13:57:12

I feel sick on the bus. I was hanging about for a ferry crossing and someone recommended those wrist band things. I'm a sceptic but thought I couldn't make it worse. I was the only passenger on a very stormy crossing not feeling or being sick. No idea if they work for kids because I first used them as an adult. Going on a long haul flight soon. Will be using them as I do for every journey I can. Even able to read stuff when on long train journey for work. Try them. It can't hurt.

Branleuse Sun 26-Jul-15 14:02:41

Kwells can be chewed. Can she have those. I would double up if necessary.

Also piriton liquid is an antihistamine but also works as anti-emetic. Ive used it on my children, and my dd gets terrible travel sickness, as do I and ds1, although she gets it the worst. Phenergen is also good, but as shes got older, she can have kwells, and knows to just look ahead or out of the window and not read etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now