Talk

Advanced search

Overnight ferry question

(11 Posts)
helloalll Thu 16-Jul-15 20:57:35

We're getting an overnight ferry to Corsica in a couple of weeks and I've just realised I haven't been on one for 25 years when I had no kids, car or luggage! Can you leave your luggage in the car and just take a small bag to the cabin or do you have to lug it all with you? Thanks.

christinarossetti Thu 16-Jul-15 20:58:45

We've done the overnight ferry to France a few times.

You leave your main luggage in the car and take a small bag.

Have fun. The best way to travel imvho.

BIWI Thu 16-Jul-15 20:59:52

Yes! You only need to take an overnight bag with you. Don't forget kids' cuddly toys. <bitter experience>

CookieDoughKid Thu 16-Jul-15 21:05:44

Related somewhat - sorry to hijack! ....

We want to take a ferry (DFDS Seaway) from Newhaven to Dieppe and bring a campervan and ideally, sleep in the van overnight during the crossing. Does anyone know whether you can have access to your vehicle once you are on the ferry? I've not been via ferry before and their customer services helpline is closed now. Thanks in advance!!

Pootles2010 Thu 16-Jul-15 21:07:30

Nope no access at all during crossing - all locked up till you arrive in dock.

CanIKondo Thu 16-Jul-15 21:08:22

Haven't been on that crossing, but you're not usually allowed access to the vehicle decks once the ship has set sail, so don't think you would be able to.

NuttyCluster Thu 16-Jul-15 21:13:05

Cookie we did that route last year (well, we did the opposite, Dieppe to Newhaven). Definitely no access to the car decks during the crossing, but if you want to catch up on sleep in Dieppe, there is an Aire just next to the docks.

CookieDoughKid Thu 16-Jul-15 21:34:34

Thank you all - much appreciated!!

helloalll Thu 16-Jul-15 21:37:10

Yes- thanks from me too!

wannabestressfree Thu 16-Jul-15 21:52:25

After the herald disaster no one allowed to sleep on the car deck- they lost a lot because people slept in their cars sad Dover resident at time and lost lots of people I knew.

CookieDoughKid Fri 17-Jul-15 07:30:38

I see. Thanks for the update. RIP those who lost their lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now