Talk

Advanced search

Should child with ear wax blockage avoid water?

(5 Posts)
Peterjamesfan Thu 16-Jul-15 12:01:47

We fly home in 2days time. My daughter has painful ear wax in one ear, have bought drops to remove wax from the pharmacy in Mallorca.
Read on line that the pool water pushes wax further into ear canal. Should she avoid swimming? Which would be tricky, but might be able to encourage her to stay on the kilo.
But I am dreading the flight home if it doesn't shift. Am supposed to be going to a water park tomorrow with friends, is this foolish?
The pharmacist suggested ear plugs which we bought, but are these likely to push wax in?
As someone who has never suffered myself I have no experience to draw upon.
Any advice is welcome.
Thank you

iwantgin Fri 17-Jul-15 09:31:52

Not sure OP.

I would post this in General Health or Children's Health perhaps - might get more views.

I think that the ear plugs will only go in to the ear so far - so shouldn't compress the wax. But I don't know for definite.

Hope you sort it for your last day.

Sidge Fri 17-Jul-15 09:35:32

I can't see why being in water would make it any worse. Oil it (or use the drops) as much as possible, it will soften and break down the wax. A potential 'problem' of being in water is that water can get behind the wax and it will feel odd for her, as if it's sloshing around in her ear.

Flying may increase the discomfort, but if you soften the wax as much as possible she may be OK.

Ear plugs won't make much difference either way IMO. Don't try and fish the wax out or go poking in her ear and definitely don't use cotton buds, they just push the wax further in and compact it.

kali43 Sat 18-Jul-15 20:06:58

make sure you have some nurofen and take an hour before landing and have some chuppa chups to suck on just in case

mrsmilesmatheson Sun 19-Jul-15 19:26:04

Can you get hold of ear candles in the country you're in? Health shops and pharmacies sell them here and they would probably help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now