Talk

Advanced search

Currency for Croatia - help!

(14 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 14-Jul-15 14:13:03

Has anyone been to Croatia recently who can advise whether we would be better to buy Kuna before we go, take sterling to exchange there or just take Kuna out of ATMs when we're there?

I've come across a few articles saying that it's cheaper just to use ATMs there, but they're all a few years old so would be interested to hear from anyone who's been there recently.

Thanks.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 14-Jul-15 16:27:29

Bump!

iwantgin Wed 15-Jul-15 11:20:55

Yes, I was there in May.

I bought Kuna in the uK before I left. I doubt it makes that much difference unless you are spending £1000s.

If you think you may be taking a trip to Montenegro (there are day trips offered) you will need some Euros too.

Depending on where you are staying, and what you plan to do you maynot need lots and lots of money anyway. I went with a friend - we stayed half board- but did eat out a bit. Spent a lot of time in bars too. I think i only spent about £250 in the week - and I wasn't stingy with spending.

Enjoy

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 15-Jul-15 13:19:59

That's really useful thanks!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 15-Jul-15 13:20:02

That's really useful thanks!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 15-Jul-15 13:31:15

We picked our Kuna up this morning. We're also taking a debit card in case of emergency shopping. But will only use that if we really have to, because of the bank charges for using it abroad. Haggle when you order your Kuna, we did and got a really good exchange rate.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 15-Jul-15 19:23:12

Ooh, have ordered some already. Can I be nosy and ask what rate you got?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 15-Jul-15 19:37:32

10.28 Kuna to the £. What about you?

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 15-Jul-15 19:43:52

We got around 10.45 online.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 15-Jul-15 19:47:34

Brilliant! We got ours in our local travel agents, but they were only giving 9.23 or something. We told them we could get 10.28 online so they matched it. It's gone up again since we ordered them, but still a good deal. When are you going to Croatia?

WeSailTonightForSingapore Wed 15-Jul-15 19:50:06

We used the ATM there, as it worked out 'cheaper' (but my bank never charges more than £2 or something).
Lots if places - restaurants etc. - are cash only, even in larger tourist spots, but especially on the quieter islands.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 15-Jul-15 20:25:04

Not till next week. Can't wait.

We discovered our bank charged a bit for atm so decided against it. Will take a card for emergencies!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 15-Jul-15 20:46:29

We're away this weekend, cannot wait! Have a great holiday when it comes.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Thu 16-Jul-15 07:24:45

Thanks, you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now