Talk

Advanced search

FLYING WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN - PAPERWORK NEEDED?

(14 Posts)
goodaunty Tue 14-Jul-15 13:12:56

I want to take my nephew on holiday abroad, by plane, (he is 12) he has a passport and I will have written permission from his parents, but we have different surnames. Has anyone encountered problems before? any advice please?

ArseForElbow Tue 14-Jul-15 13:14:03

My son is away with his friends parents and has had no problems

goodaunty Tue 14-Jul-15 15:18:59

thank you. did you write a letter and have it notified? or ok just with passport?

ArseForElbow Tue 14-Jul-15 18:13:20

Just his passport was fine smile

iwantgin Wed 15-Jul-15 11:26:57

I think it can depend on where you are going.

Within Europe just a written permission letter from parents should suffice. Plus he is old enough to answer any questions from immigration himself about who he is travelling with.

USA or some other countries may have stricter regs- perhaps you should check with the foreign office (?) if unsure.

I used to get quizzed about my own DS - we had different surnames. So started carrying a copy of his birth certificate and my marriage cert to prove I was related to him. ;)

Eastpoint Wed 15-Jul-15 11:30:38

My dds have travelled without us & we have taken other people's children with us. I usually have a letter stating the child's name, parent's name, dates travelling, passport number & a contact number & have had to show these at border control. I've also taken a letter from the parents giving consent for their child to receive medical treatment.

ISingSoprano Wed 15-Jul-15 11:34:22

I travelled to and from France with dd's friend who was very nearly 18 at the time (17 years and 10 months). I/we were quite heavily questioned on returning to the UK - we didn't have a letter from parents.

goodaunty Wed 15-Jul-15 14:59:52

thanks everyone for the advice much appreciated

Toffeelatteplease Thu 16-Jul-15 21:51:14

I think They are questioning far more often (dc & I have different surnames). Always used to go straight through last time we were stopped, kids were asked things like who's your mum? where you been whos this (my sister)? I mentioned the long list if documents I carry just in case but that wasn't necessary wink

You can download a copy of a standard permission letter. Brilliant idea the medical consent.

Give your nephew a heads up immigration might ask a few questions. Just so he isn't too worried or surprised

TimeToDecide Sun 19-Jul-15 20:24:07

Are people getting letters witnessed as I've seen suggested online? Or just signed by the relevant parent/parents?

SuperSaint Sun 19-Jul-15 20:58:32

I'm separated from my children's father and I'm taking the DCs to Turkey this summer on my own. Thomas Cook's website says I should take a letter of consent from their father so I downloaded the one from Mumsnet. I have asked exH to sign it and get it witnessed. I will also take a copy of their birth certificates just in case.

Both exH and I have taken the children away before with no problems (we all have the same surname) but I wondered if Turkey was more of a concern at the moment?

TimeToDecide Sun 19-Jul-15 21:11:18

Do you know if he is getting it witnessed by someone official?

Different surnames here. ExP is happy to sign a letter, will take birth cert etc.

Not sure about Turkey but best to be equally prepared for everywhere I think.

Toffeelatteplease Mon 20-Jul-15 20:37:41

I'll be buggered the day I actually have to get permission from DC's dad. I just take evidence I have notified him of where we going and when we are going to be back. He never voluntarily replies to anything, I can't imagine how I would get anything notarised!

I also travel with birth certificates, marriage cert, copy of divorce cert, my deed poll. and evidence I hence emailed the details, ideally also evident he has replied (not always possible)

ArseForElbow Mon 20-Jul-15 20:41:10

My DS is just back from Turkey, he was with his best friends family and I didn't even think to send a letter, he just had his ticket and passport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now