Talk

Advanced search

Money saving tips for family hotel break

(7 Posts)
SurlyCue Wed 08-Jul-15 19:22:12

Myself and two Dc aged 10 and 6 staying for 4 nights in a family friendly hotel in Letterkenny. Deal includes breakfast every day and dinner on 3 of the nights. The hotel has a swimming pool and i believe a kids club with evening entertainment. We have visited the town before so i know there is a Cinema and also an indoor bowling/softplay/arcade type place which i think the hotel gives discount entry for.

I am just after some tips on how to keep spending down whilst we are there. We went glamping last year and i deliberately didnt watch the purse strings as it was our first family holiday and i had enough not to worry. This year is different, i do need to watch the budget. I'm not sure what is a reasonable amount to bring. We will have to buy lunches for 4 days, dinner for one evening and snacks. Also a bit of spending for cinema etc.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated smile

SurlyCue Thu 09-Jul-15 20:15:20

Bump

QuiteLikely5 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:18:52

Check itison or groupon for the area you are visiting.

You do usually make a genuine saving with the vouchers.

DoItTooJulia Thu 09-Jul-15 20:23:24

I would take extra tea, coffee, sugar to make a flask of tea for you when you're out and about to save on buying every cup out (make sure there's going to be a kettle in your room, or take a kettle!). Take snacks for the hotel room, a cool bag if you want to have a pint of fresh milk/cool drinks. The hotel will probably freeze ice blocks for you.

Contact the tourist board or look up the local paper/FB group and see if there is free stuff on while you're there. Take a kite to fly, loads of fun! Research restaurants and cafes on tripadvisor and look up their menus so you have planned places to eat. Looks for deals on the cinema website. Check out Groupon for the area?

Have fun!

SurlyCue Thu 09-Jul-15 20:30:58

Thanks! Loads of tips there. Ive checked the hotel website and they do have kettles in the rooms. Cool box is a great idea, i wouldnt have thought of that. Will get cracking on groupon etc.

annandale Thu 09-Jul-15 20:34:11

Look for National Trust kids' activities, they are often in places that are free to get to in holiday areas because of all the coastline owned by the Trust (though watch out for parking costs, usually astronomical for Trust sites so you might need to walk a way).

Google for treasure hunts in any local towns/cities.

Artandco Thu 09-Jul-15 20:39:11

I would just buy snacks and part of lunch at local supermarket on first day. So grab some fruit, biscuits, mini brioche, drinks etc, then just buy a fresh filled baguette or similar out at lunchtime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now