Talk

Advanced search

Longshot - Siberia/Sami adventure

(9 Posts)
stinkingbishop Wed 08-Jul-15 09:55:23

In the v fortunate position that 21 year old DD1 still likes going on adventures with her old Mum...absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact that it's then free wink.

We watched Kate Humble's stay with the nomad family in Siberia and were entranced...have looked online but most Siberian trips are way out east eg Kamchatka or Baikal, and we just won't have time for that, sadly, as would be amazing. I don't suppose anyone has ever visited northwest Siberia and has any advice?

Failing that, she has graciously said it would be 'ok' to go to northern Finland and the Sami lands. Explore/Discover the World do a few trips. Anyone been? Summer/winter?

(sits back expecting to be flooded with replies...not!)

spex11 Wed 08-Jul-15 14:11:23

How about a long train trip? I've done the Trans-Mongolian, Moscow to Beijing, takes a week and goes by Lake Baikal. Also stops at the Mongolian capital Ulaanbataar. It's possible to break your journey and fix trips to meet Mongolian nomads. For Russian travel in general I'd recommend Real Russia - a brilliant and helpful travel firm who really know their stuff. I'm sure they'd be able to advise you on Siberian trips.

stinkingbishop Wed 08-Jul-15 15:12:48

Thanks spex. We've actually done Mongolia (lucky us, best holiday EVER) - DD1 is after minus 30 temperatures and reindeer, because she is a nutjob...will check out Real Russia, ta.

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 15:56:29

Steppes Travel do a Russian Arctic holiday. Very good viewing of Polar bears I believe. Not sure about reindeer but Sami people are mentioned in the information. Expensive but it would be my top pick. A good company to travel with.

mrsmortis Wed 08-Jul-15 17:19:34

If you want Finland, we went on a hunt for santa with Canterbury travel which was brilliant. They do trips after christmas to see the northern lights etc.

Hipotle Wed 08-Jul-15 17:25:22

No advice I'm afraid but just to say the marvellous Dervla Murphy wrote a book on Siberia - worth checking out for interest value, even if it doesn't actually help with travel planning.

stinkingbishop Wed 08-Jul-15 19:47:54

Oo thanks Hipotle, didn't know that. Recently read her one trekking through the Andes on a mule; stunning.

Millymolly, got waylaid by the Steppes site. You can do the NorthEast passage!!! Wowzers! For £30k each, exc. international flights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunbaker Fri 10-Jul-15 22:29:09

We went to Northern Finland in February half term and it was absolutely brilliant. It wasn't too cold (-7 degrees as opposed to -37 at Christmas), not busy, and we had a 8 hours of daylight.

We drove teams of huskies across a frozen lake, took a sleigh ride pulled by reindeer on the frozen river, drove snow mobiles on the river, tries cross country skiing and saw the northern lights.

It wasn't cheap and the food wasn't great, but given that we were 100km from the nearest town we didn't expect gourmet food, but the whole experience was amazing and ticked a lot of items on our bucket list.

I really wouldn't go at Christmas because it gets horrendously busy and there are lots of small children running around the hotel creating havoc. (Once you are past the small children stage this becomes less appealing smile)

sparkysparkysparky Mon 13-Jul-15 11:25:33

Used to live in Western Siberia. TransMongolian sounds fab (lived on that line near Altai Region many moons ago) . Never dealt with Real Russia travel company - after my time but have heard positive things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now