Talk

Advanced search

Solo holiday - where to?

(12 Posts)
fuckingfuckfuck Tue 07-Jul-15 17:43:49

About to start separating from my DH and feel I need to book a holiday to look forward to for September or October.

I've only ever had a short break in the UK on my own. Don't think there is anyone who could come with me (all my friends are married with kids etc)

Is there anywhere good to go as a single woman? Anything I should look for?

Fatstacks Tue 07-Jul-15 17:46:52

If you are staying UK then Yorkshire.

It has everything plus the friendliest people imaginable.

You might start the holiday solo but by the end you will be part of a whole new group. smile

mrsmortis Wed 08-Jul-15 09:56:04

I think I'd look at an activity holiday of some sort, or a small group tour somewhere. That way you'll be forced to interact with other people.

That said, if you don't want to interact there are definitely options. I spent a wonderful (if expensive) week in NYC on my own one. I overdosed on museums and shows and didn't talk to anyone except to buy tickets or order food.

fuckingfuckfuck Wed 08-Jul-15 14:28:41

Good ideas thank you smile

If I stay in the UK I'd want somewhere quite rural I think

Some sun is tempting though. Maybe rural Spain...

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 16:06:24

If you have time, and you can afford it, Exodus have a group holiday that includes singles to Peru in Seotember. Absolutely fantastic place to go! Alternatively, Kenya and Tanzania wildlife holiday in October. This would also give you something to remember as wildlife in both is superb and the Ngorongoro crater is unforgettable.

fuckingfuckfuck Wed 08-Jul-15 16:19:19

Exodus is a great idea, thanks

Budget probably won't stretch to a safari type thing unfortunately

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 17:57:08

There may be other options nearer to uk. I only did a very quick look. The adventure holiday type companies expect to have solo travellers. Not all the holidays are for adventure seekers though so I hope you find something.

makemineapinot Fri 10-Jul-15 18:09:39

Go somewhere you really want to go as this is your freedom holiday!! I wasn't totally on my own as took DC but we went to Venice. Thoroughly recommend it! It was fab! Also been to Greece, France and Netherlands on my own and had a ball! Everywhere I've been I've met people/made friends. If you don't fancy eating out alone then you could think about a youth hostel as there will be people of all ages travelling round. Good luck and enjoy!

makemineapinot Fri 10-Jul-15 18:12:09

Oh, and ask your friends! Don't assume! First time xh took DC away I knew I would feel lost and decided to go to France - 2 friends immediately saw their opportunity, arranged to leave their dhs babysitting and came too!

Christelle2207 Fri 10-Jul-15 18:12:28

Look at explore worldwide and exodus- I've done a few, they are not exclusively for singles but there are usually quite a lot of singles on them.
In the uk, my husband has done some volunteer holidays with the national trust, they are super cheap and had mostly singles on them he said.

Andcake Fri 10-Jul-15 18:34:03

I loved my single girl holidays with explore - I think anyone getting divorced should go on one - as well as shag someone younger and buy themselves a piece of jewellery.
Do ask for gender and age of group before booking as sometimes just choosing a week later or before can make them more your type of people.
Good ones I've been on walk the Great Wall, winter Russia, Slovenia, Cuba and inca trail.
Also in UK I would go for a few days at ragdale hall - a nice spa with a singles table if you fancy company at meals and films or talks in the evening.

fuckingfuckfuck Sat 11-Jul-15 09:05:19

More great ideas - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now