Talk

Advanced search

Ryanair - lost luggage

(12 Posts)
maggiethecat Sat 04-Jul-15 14:48:15

Flew from Edinburgh to Corfu today and one piece did not show up - all my stuff and toiletries. Kids suff and dh's are ok (except toiletries too).
Trying not to get worked up over it and don't want it to impact too much on the holiday.
Has anyone had luggage lost by Ryanair and did it show up quickly?
Any advice on how to deal with?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 04-Jul-15 15:18:06

Was it just yours or did other passengers' luggage not arrive either? (Ie did a whole truckload not get loaded?)
What did Ryanair staff at Corfu say?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 04-Jul-15 15:21:01

My DD & others flying from JFK to Manchester (forget who with but not ryanair, obv!) at Christmas had their luggage delayed - I think it was 2 days before it turned up but hers was delivered to our house.

wearymum73 Sat 04-Jul-15 15:22:37

Did you put your mobile number on the case somewhere? If you did they should phone you do get te case to you rather than home.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 04-Jul-15 15:25:48

www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-do-i-do-if-my-baggage-is-delayed-or-damaged/

If your baggage has been delayed, arrangements will be made to have it delivered to your local address when it arrives. Arrangements will also be made to assist you should items of baggage arrive damaged.

AuditAngel Sat 04-Jul-15 15:45:42

BA lost one of our suitcases last year when flying to a cruise. Took days for it to meet up with us (4 ports and 6 days)

specialsubject Sat 04-Jul-15 19:01:27

call your travel insurers too - check your policy, but you should have some emergency funding to buy the essentials.

the travel insurers will also help (somewhat..) if the case never arrives. Hope not!

maggiethecat Sat 04-Jul-15 20:43:45

Another family lost their case - had all young kids' clothes. Was just us two.
Seriously unimpressed with Ryanair. Years ago our case was damaged on one of their flights - perception at time was better to claim through insurers and they must rely on people doing that.
Got some toiletries and a swim coz this evening as it's almost 40degs.
Let's see what happens

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 04-Jul-15 22:36:07

Good luck - hope it turns up tomorrow smile

This might be helpful :

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/sophiebutler/10935421/Delayed-airport-luggage-your-rights.html

'If your bag has gone missing on the outward flight and you find you’re on holiday with no possessions, airlines are obliged to cover costs of “essential items”. However, this definition can be a sticking point when it comes to compensation. Depending on the attitude of the airline, it may argue that “essential items” are classified as toiletries, underwear or laundry costs rather than a brand new outfit. Ask the airline what its policy is and keep receipts for anything you buy.'

IMO what's classed as essential isn't the same in a really hot place as it would be in a cooler one so stand your ground!

Sgtmajormummy Sat 04-Jul-15 22:58:18

Ryanair lost mine on the way home. I was part of a group some of whom had already left the airport so we didn't have the exact code number for the case, only the make and description.
After a week of no news, I called them and described some of the contents. They'd opened the case without damaging it and had a list. I got it back by courier 2 days afterwards with a cheque for £50. Not bad for a case full of dirty washing!
It must be very annoying on the way out, OP, as you'll be wanting to enjoy yourself. No essential medicines, I hope. brew

maggiethecat Sun 05-Jul-15 21:08:26

Thanks NicestS. Am told luggage should be with me tomorrow.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 05-Jul-15 21:54:47

Oh that's good! Hope you've managed ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now