Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is £1000 reasonable spending money for 10 days in Scandinavia?

(9 Posts)
goshdarnit Fri 03-Jul-15 09:29:46

Basically, myself, dh and dc, 16 and 14 are going on a trip around Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) for 10 days in August.
All accommodation and travel is paid for, but now I am saving madly for spends. We will be mainly self catering, with the odd place offering breakfast.
I am very aware that Norway is mega-expensive, but we are only spending 2 nights in Oslo.
I know that dh and I will have to be alcohol-free for the majority of this trip! sad smile
Has anyone any idea if I am on the right track, or need to step up the savings? TIA

nmg85 Fri 03-Jul-15 14:57:17

It is all of them that are expensive not just Norway. £100 a day for 4 people for all food and spending money may be a little tight but that depends on what activities you want to do. Why not google prices for groceries in these countries? What kind of activities are you intending to do?

TheOriginalWinkly Fri 03-Jul-15 15:03:28

DH and I had a sandwich each, a soft drink each and a shot of local liqueur each in a port town in Norway. Bill came to around 700kr, which was about £70 then. Exchange rate is better now but would still be around £56. It's scary expensive.

Hipotle Sun 05-Jul-15 15:07:18

DH, DD (almost 2) and I have just spent a similar amount of time in Scandinavia (primarily Sweden) doing mainly self catering, and we budgeted 1000 Swedish Krona per day (£75). That worked well for us, and allowed us to have either lunch or a cheap dinner out each day, plus 'fika' and small souvenirs, entry fees to places etc. Lots of places will do lunch deals where you can get a big salad, or quiche, or jacket potato etc with bread and coffee included, sometimes a soft drink too, for appx 100SEK. Lunch is definitely a more affordable time to eat out that dinner which can be crazy expensive. Alcohol is expensive and can only be bought in the super strict state off licenses, but lättöl (light beer) can be bought in supermarkets for much the same price as pop. Have an amazing time!

Hipotle Sun 05-Jul-15 15:08:18

(Sorry, should have said, our budget was, like yours, after travel and accom had been taken care of)

Artandco Sun 05-Jul-15 15:14:52

I would say that's just possible but tight if eating any meals out. At 14 and 16 they will be eating full adults meals and paying adult entry fee in many places

Look here for an idea of prices
www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Norway

As an idea £1000 is now roughly 12,000 kroner. A basic meal out for the 4 of you at lunch will be around 1000 krone

Artandco Sun 05-Jul-15 15:18:11

Oh and meat and cheese is fairly expensive. If your aiming to eat self catered stuff like fruit, veg and yogurt are fairly cheap in comparison

TerrifiedMothertobe Thu 09-Jul-15 21:32:26

It is so expensive, so make sure you have plastic too! Cook and drink I. As much as possible, a taxi from Oslo airport to outside Oslo cost me over £100. A glass of wine is Norway is about £14, Sweden is a bit cheaper Denmark the same. Fabulous places though!

Northernlurker Tue 14-Jul-15 18:02:16

Dh has worked over there. He says don't drink unless somebody else is paying grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now