Dover Calais

(47 Posts)
buzzy1 Wed 01-Jul-15 21:49:13

Have Dover to cal crossing booked for the end of July and getting anxious about how it will be with everything that's goin on.. The crossing was cheap so am contemplating doing newhaven to Dieppe, but the prices have shot up, am looking at £400 instead of under £100.. wwyd?

sunseeker66 Thu 02-Jul-15 09:25:01

We are going Dover to Calais in a couple of weeks too.

Hopefully it all settles down by then but as a back up plan I have booked Dover to Dunkirk on a flexible fair via DFDS, so if it has settled down at Calais I will cancel it and get a refund.

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 09:51:15

We have dover-Calais booked for a couple of weeks too. Not sure if should be looking at different arrangements??

Cherrypippin Sat 25-Jul-15 09:55:29

We're going in two weeks and I've just changed our ferry to Dover to Dunkirk. We live near the port and have lots of friends who work in both ports and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better anytime soon

Methe Sat 25-Jul-15 10:00:38

We're travelling in a couple of weeks too although v early in the morning mid week rather that at the weekend.

I'm more concerned about coming back than going. We went for France May half term week and Calais was bad d then - it took us HOURS to check in on our ferry. It looks terrifying at the moment sad

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 10:38:01

Oh no! Not sure what to do now!

BackforGood Sat 25-Jul-15 10:51:13

dh went last Friday (well, I think crossing was early hours of Sat morning) and a few days before, they were notified that their crossing had been changed to Dunkirk. As far as I'm aware, that then went smoothly.

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 12:16:05

Has anyone changed their crossing and is it ok to do?

Twinklestein Sat 25-Jul-15 12:27:10

I think it's overblown. My parents recently went via the Chunnel, they had to wait an hour when normally they drive straight on, but it was fine.

Bubblesinthesummer Sat 25-Jul-15 12:33:05

Huge questions this am �� People being interviewed saying thinking about cancelling and going back home hmm

Methe Sat 25-Jul-15 12:36:56

On the ferry or the tunnel?

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 12:54:05

Where was this bubble?

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 19:21:39

Has anyone managed this journey this weekend?

Methe Sat 25-Jul-15 19:40:35

There are photos on most of the news websites of miles and miles of traffic. Some of the interviews are saying 4 and 5 hour delays shock

phoebemac Sat 25-Jul-15 20:56:25

We've switched to Newhaven - Dieppe for mid August. I don't think things are going to get any better within the next few weeks.

MegBusset Sat 25-Jul-15 21:04:12

I've got a Le Shuttle crossing booked for a couple of weeks' time, paid for using Tesco vouchers. Does anyone know what the deal is with cancelling and getting a refund?

Twinkie1 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:06:10

DH changed to go Dunkirk, I think that's definitely the way to go.

TheRachel Sat 25-Jul-15 21:18:56

I have phoned about this today. We can go dover - Dunkirk, which will be cheaper, but means we still have to go to dover. I am going to call again and enquire about going newhaven-dieppe.

Methe Sat 25-Jul-15 21:24:43

I'm just looking at the newhaven dieppe crossing too.

mummymeister Sat 25-Jul-15 21:25:04

DH went by Chunnel on Tuesday and it was a bit of nightmare. the lorries were pushing in in front of him all the time so much so that it got dangerous and eventually the police/border people intervened. he said it was a really unpleasant half hour drive the other side as well. not sure I would go this route again myself.

Methe Sat 25-Jul-15 21:25:36

It's the physically getting to Dover that's worrying me.. It's such a long horrible drive as it is without huge tailbacks sad

HuftysTrain Sat 25-Jul-15 21:27:29

It's quite odd. We drive through Calais ti the tunnel last week and had no problems. Very smooth, quiet, no migrants, no traffic.

It seems to change suddenly and then resolve itself as quickly again.

MrsUltracrepidarian Sun 26-Jul-15 11:22:31

Saturdays are always pretty awful even in normal conditions sad

Toast01 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:14:36

We are in France as I write this did the tunnel on sat just gone delay was four hours however this included an hour to queue in our car to get to the car park two hours in terminal building then another hour in the car to queue to board whereas we do normally drive on. It was not horrendous the little soft play thing in the middle kept little one amused older one glued to iPad and we had breakfast as well so our number was being called before we knew it. The only downside is we then had a drive to Loire so it was a long day hope this helps

LocatingLocatingLocating Tue 28-Jul-15 23:13:44

Argh, we are doing Dover Calais in a fortnight, on a Friday ferry crossing (there and back). Haven't made alternative plans, not sure what to do. We have a 2 day drive after the ferry so a delay would be a nightmare.
Is the advice to get there very early ( hours before sailing) or just leave normal amount of time and there'll put you on a later ferry if you are delayed at the port?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now