Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interrailing teen. How to carry cash and not get mugged?

(13 Posts)
Haffdonga Mon 29-Jun-15 21:58:36

So ds is off on a tour of the nightspots of Europe interrailing. He says he's going to museums hmm. He'll be both in Euro and non Euro currency countries.

Apart from carrying a bundle of different currencies in cash he'll get mugged or taking my credit card he'll lose it or using his own debit card he'll spend it all in the first week and get mugged and lose it what's the best way to safely travel round the train stations of Europe and pay for beer?

specialsubject Tue 30-Jun-15 10:40:16

if he isn't sensible enough to manage his money via debit card, he's not adult enough for this trip.

don't even think of giving him your credit card. There's no need any more to carry lots of different currencies, with the obvious exception of Greece at the moment.

travel insurance? Bank notifications? Knowledge that he isn't insured if he is too pissed?

let him get on with it with his own cash, but do insist on the insurance so if the worst happens he doesn't bankrupt you. Other than that, he'll learn.

wankerchief Tue 30-Jun-15 10:45:32

if he isn't sensible enough to manage his money via debit card, he's not adult enough for this trip

This

Theas18 Tue 30-Jun-15 10:48:15

PO travel money card.

Load it up. Use it like a visa card with a PIN ( no charge) or ( small charge) as cahpoint card.

Has an appt/website so you can remotely top up and he/you can cancel it easily too.

Get a wallet that tucks inside his trousers for the real money and a " muggers wallet" with say 10 euros and a few fake credit card things from magazines or expired tesco loyalty cards!

DD1 Had a bril interrail trip. Her tips were:

Cheap phone, if it has to be " smart" the motog is about£100 and does everything. P+G on 3 would be ideal for " three like home"

Railway stations are awful- her mate lost camera, phone and ipod at a station and it wrecked a whole day and they missed a train as police were awful.

After that I think she'd probably say don't take anything expensive and forget sorting insurance for losses TBH- cheap phone and MP3 and they'd just have said " bad luck" and not ended up on a stopped train in the middle of no where for 5 hrs over night!

Artandco Tue 30-Jun-15 10:51:00

I would say he can't go either. He's old enough to travel alone, he can look after money

Personally I take debit and credit cards abroad. Just withdraw the money in the correct country currency as needed. Take a few hundred euros to start with/ euro excepted in most countries anyway.

Keep most money on you, in blazer/ money belt rather than in rucksack.

Take a small rucksack, not a large backpacking bag and then you don't look like a huge target to mug!

MissBelleTragic Tue 30-Jun-15 11:22:37

Prepaid credit/travel card! Some of them can be topped up as well so you can transfer money on each week so he can't over spend! If taking cash, divide it into separate compartments on the body. Front jeans pocket, inside jacket pocket, money belt. You can also buy mens underwear with pockets,mainly designed for condoms ( which is probably not a bad thing) but you can also carry cash in them. http://www.smugglingduds.com/buy/mens/underwear

Heels99 Tue 30-Jun-15 11:25:54

Debit card or one of those pre paid travel cards.
Definitely not your credit card, for one thing it's fraud.
Good insurance.

How old is he? Assuming over 18? We have been that age and lost our money or passport or both etc, meh they manage.

specialsubject Tue 30-Jun-15 13:49:25

don't give him money! If he wants a long holiday he saves and pays for it.

Haffdonga Tue 30-Jun-15 18:40:26

Thanks for all the comments smile

I should have clarified. I am not paying for this trip - he is. He has worked for the last couple of years and is hopefully capable of managing his own money. The question is a result of travelling companion's parents panicking that if all the money is in his account and he's using his debit card someone with a knife will hold them up and force them to empty their accounts hmm.

So he was planning the pre-loaded card option with me topping up (from his cash) when it's low. But he's travelling both in Euro and non Euro countries so we've got in a muddle about whether he's best off with a pre-loaded Euro card, a sterling card or debit.

Another companion is living off his mum's credit card. shock More fool her

Haffdonga Tue 30-Jun-15 18:44:26

He's 18 and knows EVERYTHING

specialsubject Tue 30-Jun-15 20:48:46

the scenario mentioned could happen anywhere. Except it couldn't because there's a withdrawal limit on accounts.

tell dippy mummy/daddy that carrying huge amounts of cash is far more likely to induce a mugging - with no comeback.

but you did say he'd spend it all if he had a debit card!

Millymollymama Wed 01-Jul-15 15:05:24

It is far betteer to teach about taking money out safely when using a cashpoint service. For example, only go to well lit ones, in a bank if poossible, go with your friend, keep your wits about you etc. You cannot sort out every scenario so keeping safe is the best way. I am sure MoneySavingExpert has the smartest advice on currency transactions/cards. I would do what they advise, providing it works for this trip.

Pipyg Wed 01-Jul-15 15:06:19

does anyone know - when you are interailing through Europe - do you just get on the trains and show your internal wrist band or do you need to get a ticket? probably a stupid question!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now