Talk

Advanced search

Can someone please calm me down about air travel?

(4 Posts)
Soccafiox Mon 29-Jun-15 20:21:23

I am flying to Lebanon in two weeks time and very nervous about the plane journey. I have been there many times for work and I'm not afraid of the place, it's more the plane journey that I am scared of. Terrorism or something to do with ISIS. You see it is such an irrational fear that I can't really articulate what it is, but I assume that because it's a country near Syria and there are ISIL operatives in Lebanon and travelling to Lebanon or from England to Lebanon that it could be a risk.

specialsubject Tue 30-Jun-15 10:41:37

brutally - this didn't affect all those poor people on Germanwings...

I imagine that airport and plane security is extremely high at the moment, especially on routes like this. As always, the road journey to the airport is more dangerous.

MackerelOfFact Tue 30-Jun-15 10:51:23

This helps me.

What airport are you flying from? Go onto their website and have a look at all the departures and arrivals for today for that airport. It's likely to be hundreds. Every day thousands of people fly in and out of that very airport. The day of the Germanwings crash, the Malaysian airlines disasters, and during all of the terrorist events for the last ten years. They have kept flying. And how many passenger planes flying from the airport have crashed or been brought down. It's zero. smile

The cabin crew and pilots make the journey day in, day out. There's no way they'd put their own lives constantly at risk if they felt there was any kind of threat.

I hope that helps and isn't too patronising. I find it helps me put it into perspective.

Dowser Thu 02-Jul-15 21:20:47

Eft

Google Gary Craig .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now