Talk

Advanced search

Would you go to Turkey at the moment?

(37 Posts)
rebellove Sun 28-Jun-15 20:42:40

Just booked lovely hotel in Belek Turkey for 10 nights in August. DM is coming but has now said she's worried about the terrorism threat and has got me worrying too! What are your thoughts? Would you go?
TIA

Tweennightmare Sun 28-Jun-15 20:47:18

Why wouldn't you? You do realise that at the moment the risk to the UK is classified as severe and that most security agencies think it will be when rather than if we will be attacked on home territory . I think turkey is as risky as here

ipadmad Sun 28-Jun-15 20:48:14

I wouldn't have booked for Turkey personally but as you have, I wouldn't let the recent events in Tunisia put me off either. Terrorism can happen anywhere. Security will be tightened in tourist resorts - you could say it is safer to go now than previously.

Tweennightmare Sun 28-Jun-15 20:51:21

I forgot to say enjoy your holiday . We are off to Turkey too and I was probably more edgy about our weekend in London this week than Turkey!

Bexicles Sun 28-Jun-15 20:55:55

I had been planning to book a week in Ovacik mid August with my DS and DM. My DM thinks it's just too risky and had talked me out of it. It's a difficult one.

Chardonnay73 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:59:16

We are going to Belek in August too, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

I phoned travel agents today but until the Foreign Office declare it an unsafe country, we couldn't change the holiday without losing every single penny we have already paid as it's less than 8 weeks to departure.

I know logically that terrorism can happen anywhere, but it is making me feel uneasy.

clareth Sun 28-Jun-15 21:02:54

We have booked and paid for 2 weeks in August. Before Tunisia, I was feeling completely happy to go, im having a few wobbles about it now.

Although realistically it is very very unlikely that anything will happen, I do feel a little wary.

But I also worry about my DH commuting to London every day for work, as an attack is very likely in the UK sad

rebellove Sun 28-Jun-15 21:04:35

Thanks for replies. I'm wondering whether to cancel. We only booked today. It was all a bit rushed - I had been looking at Spain and then DH took over as I had to go out and we didn't really discuss it properly. He reckons it's fine but I'm fretting!

Tiredemma Sun 28-Jun-15 21:06:16

Im more scared of my overnight trip to London to see Charlie and the Choc factory to be honest (seriously)

I really do think that the UK is due for a terrorist attack

20thcenturyschizoidwoman Sun 28-Jun-15 21:10:52

we have booked two weeks at the end of august in Patara.

just doing the travel insurance now - costing a bit as we both have medical problems and we are making sure the "cancellation due to problems in country" box is ticked!

Tweennightmare Sun 28-Jun-15 21:12:05

Tiredemma I saw Charlie last night it is fab! And I was the same edgy about being in London. (Especially as the gay pride parade was on ) but you just have to live your life I guess and hope you are not in the wrong place at the wrong time

MillieMoodle Sun 28-Jun-15 21:38:24

Yes I would, although I'd avoid Marmaris as it's so popular with British tourists and I would be a little bit nervous. We got home from 11 days in Turkey last week and it's quieter this year than in previous years. I imagine it will be quieter still following the atrocity in Tunisia.

We went to a resort which was bombed in 2005, reportedly by the PKK (Kurdish resistance fighters) although I don't believe they have ever admitted it. I have always been nervous about going over the years (we've been several times in the last few years as DH's parents used to live there) but actually when there I have always felt safe. We've always stayed in holiday homes of friends, in predominantly Turkish areas though; we've never been on a package holiday there. The resort we go to is also more popular with the Turkish and Irish than the British.

You can never guarantee that you'll be totally safe, even at home. I'd be more worried about going to London at the moment though. I also don't think we've seen the last of attacks on holidaymakers this year sadly, so I'd be a bit nervous about going anywhere touristy, although I don't think it would stop me (I'd just be more on edge than usual). I'd avoid Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco though, but I wouldn't have gone to those places anyway as it would be too hot for me.

The Turkish are lovely, welcoming people and we have many Turkish friends out there who are worried about how their businesses will suffer if western tourists are too scared to holiday there.

Also, if you're going during Ramadan, a lot of areas will set off canons or guns at the point in the day when Ramadan ends and they are able to eat/drink again - usually around 8.45/9pm. It scared the living daylights out of me on the first day of Ramadan.

MillieMoodle Sun 28-Jun-15 21:40:15

Have just seen that you're due to go in August so Ramadan will be finished by then.

Timetoask Sun 28-Jun-15 21:41:36

I wouldn't risk it. There are many other non Muslim lovely cheap destinations, so why take the chance?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 29-Jun-15 11:24:26

I would go, we love Turkey and have family there.

To be honest you could book a joluiday to Spain and something could happen there, it has happened in France twice already so it isn't just Muslim countries. Nowhere is 100% safe but Turkey is no less safe than anywhere else at the moment.

I live in London but I still have to go out.

rebellove Mon 29-Jun-15 13:12:50

Thank you. I've stopped worrying (mostly) as I'm sure we'll be fine. God only knows where they'll strike next but as pp have said - could be anywhere...

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 29-Jun-15 17:33:09

I think it's a good thing to try not to worry or go for a knee jerk reaction difficult though it is in the light of the horrible events of the last few days.

We're going to Turkey for two weeks at the end of August as we have family there - I have no intention of cancelling but then I commute into central London every day so I can't put my entire life on hold really.

Quick wave to 20th Century - we're in Patara the last week of August too!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Jun-15 17:38:51

I wouldn't. I wouldn't even have booked it prior to the Tunisia Attack to be honest.

I was happily in London for a week the other week. I get it that there could well be an attack in London. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I place more faith in security services in this country to stop a terrorist attack than Turkish security services. And yes I do remember 7/7, Lee Rigby, etc. but I also think that there are other plots which have been prevented. I also think there are likely to be more potential terrorists in Turkey than London.

Stitchintime1 Mon 29-Jun-15 18:27:52

I wouldn't go

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 01-Jul-15 11:37:24

The Turkish security services are actually very good. They had to deal with terror attacks within Turkey during the 80s and 90s so they know what they are doing.

There are terrorists in every country, I live in London and I would feel safer in a Turkish resort than in central London at the moment.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 01-Jul-15 11:38:12

I think most people who are saying they wouldn't go have probably never been to Turkey before so don't know what it is like there.

TheHormonalHooker Wed 01-Jul-15 11:45:46

I wouldn't go. I wouldn't have booked it before the Tunisia attacks last week either. The Turkish security forces are so great that they aren't stopping people crossing the border in to Syria to fight for ISIS, so I'd doubt they are stopping them coming back in.

There are potential terrorist attacks being foiled and prevented on a very regular basis in this country. I would think you are safer here than in Turkey right now tbh.

mrsfrankieheck Wed 01-Jul-15 20:59:18

I have been there several times and I wouldn't go.

kylesmybaby Thu 02-Jul-15 01:02:12

Spain has the same High Alert as Turkey ATM. I'm taking DS13 for two weeks to Izmir. It's our dream holiday with large water park. I live in London and unfortunately expect something to happen here before Turkey.

spex11 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:30:35

I would go. As well as Spain, places with the same high risk status include the whole of the UK, France, Belgium and Australia. It's a question of trying to keep a sense of proportion over the risk -- around 1,700 people are killed on the roads in Britain every year. But we still drive. Around one and a half million Britons go on holiday to Turkey every year - so far none has been targeted in a terrorist attack. But I accept that tensions are high at the moment and if you're going to worry and not relax then you might as well go somewhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now