Talk

Advanced search

babies on planes, please help!

(9 Posts)
babyalexa Tue 23-Jun-15 18:42:57

DH seems to think that if we tick the "infant" box when we book and put "please can we have a cot?" in the comments that they will have us in the first row of economy with a bassinet all ready for us. I don't think that's going to happen.

We are going to travel on MEA (Middle East Airlines) and getting last minute tickets to fly in a few days time.

I have never flown with DD (6 months) before. It's an overnight flight - please let me know what I need to put in place and ask for?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 23-Jun-15 18:46:00

Id imagine if you are booking last minute those bassinet seats will have already been pre booked but worth asking for anyways.

eurochick Tue 23-Jun-15 18:47:38

The bassinets are often booked. Have you tried the faq page for your airline? It probably tells you how to reserve one, if one is still available for your flight. If not you have the baby on your lap.

oddfodd Tue 23-Jun-15 18:51:39

Take a sling then if you don't get a bassinet you can sleep

babyalexa Tue 23-Jun-15 18:53:21

So how do we reserve a bassinet? IS there usually the option on the online booking page? Or can I call in advance? Or should we check in early?

DPotter Tue 23-Jun-15 19:00:39

To be honest I think you may have missed the boat - sorry bad unintended pun. There are only a few bassinets per flight and they go really fast. You may be lucky but you will have to contact the airline now. You will have absolutely no chance if you turn up for your flight and ask for one. Like odd says take a sling and then you may be able to get some sleep - never worked for me but it's worth a try. Most important is to get you and DP sitting next to each other so you can share your DD between you - otherwise there's just no room for the tray / getting up to go to the loo is a nightmare.

One thing we did find with DD is that she would be sick just as coming into land. Apparently it is well recognised in infants / small children. Something to do with ear pressure. So make sure you have plenty of wipes / bags at the ready even when the plane has landed.

Good luck

JassyRadlett Tue 23-Jun-15 19:03:26

Definitely call the airline - that's how we always got bassinets, and you'll get on a waiting list if they're booked.

kiwiscantfly Tue 23-Jun-15 19:05:33

On some airlines you can ring and book (and pay for) the bassinet, others will operate a youngest first policy, so the bassinets are given to the youngest baby first and so on. This was what happened four years ago when I travelled with DD and I wish it was what they still did, makes things fair. I'd call the airline. If your child uses a dummy, make sure they have it in for take off and landing, helps clear the ears. Good luck!

LissieD Tue 23-Jun-15 19:17:47

To be honest the bassinets aren't that brilliant. They are very small and if the seatbelt sign is on dd will not be allowed in it. If both you and dh are travelling, cabin crew are generally good at bringing one of you a meal early so you can eat and then swap the baby over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now