Talk

Advanced search

It's your 60th birthday and your daughter has booked you a holiday....

(8 Posts)
Silvertap Tue 23-Jun-15 14:51:13

....where would you want that holiday to be?

Dad is paying (and totally not fussed about where. He's been avoiding holidays for years, I'm making him go for mums sake!) and brother and I are paying for some sort of upgrade/special day trip.

Holiday has to be mid October - mid June.

Ideally needs to be pretty hot with some history nearby to keep dad happy. Needs to be a fairly luxurious hotel.

We went to sorrento and I'm thinking that's ticks the boxes but feel as if I'm being lazy!

Where else in the world could I send them?

She's always wanted to do a safari too.

ishouldcocoa Tue 23-Jun-15 14:57:09

How much is your budget?

PeterParkerSays Tue 23-Jun-15 15:03:25

Where has she been before that she liked? Does she like "foreign" food? How long would she fly for?

Late October she could go to Turkey, for example, or Malta. Are these exotic enough? Mexico or Cuba would be dearer but would also have some history.

Clayhead Tue 23-Jun-15 15:14:47

Sicily is nice in mid-October. Lots of history but no safari animals!

slipperssuperior Tue 23-Jun-15 15:16:42

A cruise maybe? The excursions are many and varied and Im sure there will be some with a historical base.

Lilymaid Tue 23-Jun-15 15:30:37

South Africa - safaris and military history. Long flight but time zones not so different. Plenty of sun in our winter and loads of good hotels to stay.
PS, for younger readers, 60 year olds have been known to eat "foreign food" and to manage long journeys!

AugustaGloop Tue 23-Jun-15 15:44:04

Sri Lanka has got safari, temples, beach and tea plantations and nice hotels. They would need to travel round a bit to take it all in though.

Millymollymama Tue 23-Jun-15 18:37:11

South Africa ticks all the boxes. The Rand is good value at the moment too. Kruger is fantastic for wildlife and they night enjoy Cape Town and The a Garden Route too. There are some top class guest houses to stay in and the South Africans are very hospitable. Driving is easy.

Speaking as a fellow baby of 1955, I can assure you there are wonderful places to visit which could be considered! In recent years we have been to Peru, Ecuador, Kenya, Tanzania, sailed in the BVIs, Brazil, India, California Highway 1 (fantastic in the Autumn) and Japan, equally awsome in late October but cheaper in May. We are off to China in October. Going somewhere exciting is far more memorable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now